Chapter 10

"I'm so happy to be home," Aspen said as he and Harlow walked through the front door.

"I'm so happy you're home and safe," Harlow said, taking his bag of laundry to the laundry room. "I don't know what I would do without you."

"Come here," he said, and she walked into his loose embrace. "I'm not going anywhere, baby."

"You better not. You're my everything," she mumbled. "I'm sure everyone is anxious to see you, Mama and Papa especially."

"I've heard Papa Jack has been a big help while we were away."

"I'm glad he found something he enjoys doing. Do you care if they come over for dinner?"

"This is your home. You don't have to ask me," Aspen said, pressing his lips to her hair. "Of course I don't care."

"Alright, but you need to rest a bit first."

"I really appreciate you worrying about me," he mumbled. "But I am fine. I don't want to rest anymore."

Harlow frowned, "You need to. Doctor said to take it easy."

Even Aspen couldn't deny how adorable her worry was. He cared for her so much, and it felt good knowing she cared about him, too.

"I promise to take it easy, alright?" he leaned down for a kiss. "I'm just going to start getting caught up at the office. Rocco is going to meet me there."

He could tell she wasn't pleased as her frowned deepened, but she nodded.

"Alright. I'm going to take a shower. I might take a nap, too. I don't think I am going to have my parents over tonight."

She turned away from him, walking towards their bedroom.

Aspen felt his frustration growing, but he swallowed it down. All he had ever wanted was for someone to be there for him, and he was not going to ruin it by letting his stubbornness show. He wasn't going to let Harlow walk away upset.

"Harlow," he called, but she had already disappeared.

He took his time going up the stairs, hoping she would cool a bit before he reached her. He hated upsetting her, and he hated that she would never tell him if he did something. She was the suffer in silence type. That was something he was beginning to realize.

She was already in the shower, so he waited patiently on the bed. Patience grew to distress as he heard her soft cries hidden behind the noise of the water.

He was such an ass for making his sweet, kind mate cry.

Aspen let himself into the bathroom, taking a seat on the edge of the stand alone tub. She was out of view, the glass all steamed up. He wouldn't dare look anyway. He didn't want to make her uncomfortable.

"Come on, baby. Please don't cry," he said, running a hand through his hair. He scrubbed a hand down his face, letting out a sigh.

Harlow shut off the water, and wrapped herself up in the soft towel.

Aspen immediately pulled her into his arms. "I'm so sorry. I hate seeing you cry."

"I should get dressed," she said, voice muffled by her face pressed into his chest.

He could feel the heat coming from her face, meaning she was blushing. She was so cute.

"You were just frustrated because I was being stubborn, yeah? Is that why you were crying?"

She nodded and he sighed. "I'm sorry," he apologized again. "You have permission to yell at me whenever I'm being a stubborn asshole. Alright?"

"I'd never yell at you," she pulled back so they made eye contact.

"You're so sweet," he smiled. "Too sweet for me. I love you."

"I love you," she whisper, cheeks still aflame. "I understand you have a lot of work to catch up on. Can't you do some here, maybe in bed?"

"I can think of a million other things I'd rather do in bed other than work," Aspen teased with a shake of his head.

She let out an embarrassed groan, pulling away. "I think you need to get out now."

He pouted, "Fine. I'll have Rocco drop off my laptop and I'll do some stuff here."

Harlow was satisfied with the compromise. She was lucky she had a mate who seemed to read her better than she could herself.

She was a bit embarrassed he came into the bathroom with her. She was sure he'd get in the shower with her if she had stayed in any longer.

She didn't feel up to eating or seeing her parents after all - that was the truth. She was exhausted after staying with Aspen at the clinic for about two days. That bed was definitely not fit for two.

Her mate was not in the bedroom, but she could hear him talking downstairs. She assumed it was Rocco bringing the laptop. Rocco wasn't injured during the takeover, but he was one of the few that could handle the unhappy Alpha.

Harlow gratefully crawled into the bed. It felt great using her own pillow again.

She was jolted from her doze by Aspen crawling in next to her.

"Are you sure you don't want to eat something, love? You've hardly eaten these past few days."

He gently stroked the side of her face, pulling the blankets up around her.

"I'm sleepy," she mumbled, curling into him, her eyes already closing.

"You're my whole world, Harlow. I don't want you to hold it in if you're upset with me. You know you can talk to me."

"I know," she whispered, running her palm over his chest in a soothing motion, her eyes still closed. She felt him kiss her head. "I'm so tired, Aspen. I know I overreacted."

"You had every right to be upset. I know you want to see me get better. My wolf will help me heal faster than you're used to, so no more worrying."

He leaned down for a sweet kiss. Harlow's hands turned to fists as she clung to his shirt, slowly drifting off to sleep.