Chapter 5

"If I'm sleeping in your bed, then where did you sleep last night?" Harlow asked Aspen curiously as she brushed her teeth. He was standing in the door way watching her. It felt intimate, but in a good way.

"On the couch," he said. "I'll get a bed for the guest room and then we can each have our own."

"It's your bed." She spit in the sink. "I can take the couch. Besides, I'm smaller than you."

"No, really. It's all good. Tomorrow, I'll get a bed. I should've done it today."

"Alright, then tonight we can share." Harlow had already made up her mind as she got into the plush bed, patting the space next to her.

"It's only been a day, Harlow. I know this is an adjustment for you. Let's give it time."

"Scared of sharing a bed with a girl?" she teased with a light laugh.

Aspen felt a smile spread across his face as happiness bloomed in his chest. She had a beautiful laugh. "So what if I am?" he played back, giving in and crawling in beside her. "Just so you know, if I sleep here tonight, probably won't get a guest bed."

Harlow laughed, fluffing her pillow, and laying on her side facing him. When had her life ever been so care-free? "We'll see if you hog the blankets or not."

He sighed contently, turning on his side also and reaching out to stroke her arm. "I do have to get up at the crack ass of dawn for training."

"That sounds fun. I'll have to go with you one time."

"Really?" Aspen asked, surprised.

"Truly. I'd like to see what you do, but not tomorrow. I'm tired," she yawned.

"Alright, sweetheart," he chuckled. He felt like he had conquered the world as he pulled the blankets up around her. "I'll take some time off so we can go look at houses, yeah?"

She gave a hum as a confirmation, already in the most peaceful sleep.

----

"Hi, Mama," Harlow greeted over the phone the next morning.

"Harlow! You sound so much better today. That must mean things are going well, right?"

"Really well. We were so wrong about them. I think I'm going to like it here."

"That's all Papa and I ever want for you."

"I also have exciting news."

"What's that?"

"Aspen told me that he would be more than happy for you guys to come and stay with us in the pack. I think you guys would really love it here too, mom."

Mama gave a sigh, a happy relieved one Harlow presumed. "I'll talk to Papa about it. Gosh, Harlow, I haven't heard you this upbeat in a very long time."

Harlow bit her lip to control her smile. She hadn't fell this good in forever. She felt accepted and adored.

"You tell Alpha Aspen that we can't wait to meet him, you hear? We love you."

"I love you guys."

Harlow knew that her last paycheck would last them about a month with Mama's side money. That should be plenty of time to get everything settled for them here. Although, that was quite a long time to go without seeing them.

----

"This is the smallest place we've looked at. Are you sure this is the one?" Aspen asked. "We could even build a house if none of these places suit you. The options are very limited."

"No, this is perfect. It's double the size of our old apartment, and it's all one level for Papa. They'll love it."

He couldn't resist bending down to kiss her cheek. He didn't know how he had gotten so lucky.

"I can't wait to meet them. How about we go back home to eat some lunch and I'll call afterwards to make sure everything is good with this place?"

Harlow nodded, reaching for his large hand. He laced their fingers.

"It's beautiful out here," she whispered. They were surrounded by towering, luscious trees. The sky was blue, and the air just felt happy.

"I agree," he said. "I love days like today, when the children can be out running around. Have you ever seen a wolf pup? They're like puppies, and they wreck havoc, but they are so cute."

"I don't even think I have seen a normal wolf," Harlow admitted, thinking back.

"Really? If you'd like, I'll show you mine."

"Right now?"

Aspen shrugged with a smile. "My wolf would love to meet you."

She smiled back, "Okay."

She was instructed to turn around and when she turned to face him there was a large wolf facing her. He was huge, almost as tall as she was. He looked very fluffy.

She held out her hand, and he nuzzled it like a cat. Harlow couldn't help but giggle as she ran her hand through his plush fur.

He ran his tongue over her face and she squeaked and pulled away.

"That's gross, Wolf Aspen."

He snorted before throwing his head back, gesturing for her to climb on.

"Are you sure?"

He nodded, lowering so his belly was to the ground.

Harlow clambered on, grabbing onto his fur and then they were off. It was a thrill. She could tell he was holding back on the speed, but it was still really fast. The wind rushed past her with a cool sting.

He lowered to the ground again when they made it home, and she went on into the house after one last pet.

Wolves didn't seem so bad after all. Aspen was more like a big dog more than anything. Of course she recognized that that was only with her, but overall they seemed to be loving and loyal creatures. Why had the humans in her area been so negative? Why were their conditions so bad when it didn't seem to be that way everywhere else?

"I'm going to shower really quick," Aspen said behind her.

"Okay. Do you want a sandwich? I'll make it for you," she offered, turning to face him. Her cheeks heated uncontrollably as she saw his sweaty and bare chest, still heaving from his run.

He couldn't help the smirk of pride he felt at affecting his mate. "That would be great. Thank you, sweetheart." He gave her one last kiss on the cheek before heading to the bathroom.