The King of Omashu

Blurb
Katara and Sokka must again indulge the twins when they drag them to the Earth Kingdom city of Omashu, a haunting ground of their youth.

The kids hiked to stand on top of a small hill in a mountain range.

  The avatar twins stood on a snow-covered boulder and announced, “The Earth Kingdom city of Omashu!”

  In front of them, they could see the pyramid shape of Omashu looking as if it were carved out of the mountain.

  “We used to come here all the time to visit our friend, Bumi,” Hikari explained, gesturing towards the city with her staff.

  “Wow,” Katara said, her eyes wide. “We don’t have cities like this in the South Pole.”

  “They have buildings here that don’t melt,” Sokka said in awe.

  “Well, let’s go, slowpokes! The real fun’s inside the city,” Aang said, jumping away at the same time as his sister.

  “Wait, guys!” Katara called as the twins slid down the snow-covered slope. “It could be dangerous if people find out you’re the avatars.”

  “You need a disguise.”

  The twin stopped their descent and spoke together. “So what are we supposed to do? Grow a mustache and grey hair?”

  Only after Hikari said it did she question her choice of words.

>>>

  The next thing they knew, Aang had a tall wig and mustache made of Appa’s hair and Hikari had a bunch of the bison’s hair woven into her braid.

  “Ugh, this is so itchy,” Aang complained, reflexively saying it mentally, scratching his head.

  “Tell me about it,” His sister responded without much thought, scratching her own head where Appa’s fur touched her skin.

  “How do you live in this stuff?” They spoke aloud at the same time.

  Appa snorted at them.

  “Soooo, you two care to fill us in, or…” Sokka trailed off. “Whatever. Now Aang looks just like my grandfather, and Hikari… you look just like an old lady.”

  Hikari huffed and sent a blast of wind behind him, throwing his hood over his head.

  “Technically, the twins are a hundred and twelve years old,” Katara pointed out.

  The twins kicked up their staffs with their feet. Aang spun his around in a circle in front of him, and his twin spun it around above her head with one hand. They then both started using their staffs as walking sticks and hunched over.

  Aang said in an old voice, “Now let’s get to skippin’ young whippersnappers. The big city awaits!”

  Hikari laughed lightly as they started walking like old people. The Water Tribe siblings shared a look.

>>>

  The four made their way along the rock bridge over the chasm to Omashu. They had left Appa in the mountains because “flying bison” just screamed “Airbender” and “avatars”