Chapter 2 - Valiant

I wandered around the castle slowly, trying to wake myself up after having a bad night's sleep, as my pain came in the early hours of the morning. As I walked I saw Gwen and waved to her, not really wanting to start up a conversation. There were quite a few servants running around the castle, because there was a tournament coming up that knights from all over Camelot were arriving for.

I ended up walking out the castle, to get away from all the people, and to ensure I wasn't in their way. I was just planning on walking around the edge of the castle, and then return to Gaius's chamber and see if there were any interesting books that he had. But I was stopped as I heard the sound of swords clashing. My curiosity got the better of me, and I moved closer to the sound. As I turned the corner, I saw that Arthur was in his armour and was fighting with Merlin, who looked ridiculous in his armour.

Arthur eventually got the upper hand and knocked Merlin over by hitting his helmet. I gasped, and moved slightly closer, worried about him, but I heard him say something and get up again. Arthur put his sword down, and I was going to move closer, but he pulled out a mace, and smirked at my brother. I smiled, knowing that was the weapon he had used to try and best Arthur our third day here. They started at each other again, and ended with Merlin on the floor, again. I watched for a while, neither of them noticing me, then I caught Merlin's eye and winked at him, and he groaned.

"How long have you been standing there?" He asked. Arthur looked confused, but followed my brother's eyeline and saw me standing there. He gave me a warm smile and I looked down at my feet again. I don't know why I could never meet his eyes, I guess I just didn't feel worthy, he was a prince and I was just me.

"Long enough to know that you would be destroyed if you were competing in the Tournament." Merlin groaned again, and Arthur chuckled. "She's right there Merlin, you are terrible at everything, let's hope you learn quickly, because tomorrow you will have to ensure all my armour is on properly, and I want it polished as well, I have to look my best in front of the kingdom. You are dismissed for now." Arthur said to my brother.

Merlin let out a sigh of relief and started to walk off. I was going to follow him, but Arthur turned to me and started to speak so I turned my attention to him. "Are you alright, you seemed to be in pain yesterday." He said to me with what sounded like genuine concern. I gave him a small smile, unsure as to why he was worried about me. "Yes, I'm fine, sire. I'm used to the pains by now, it just surprised me is all." I replied, not really confident talking to nobles, having grown up in a small outlying village my whole life. He nodded and gave me a wide smile.

I stood there awkwardly for a few more seconds before bowing my head politely, and walking away from the prince, not knowing that he was also confused about why he cared so much for a girl barely knew, he just had a feeling that he could trust her, and he was too arrogant to admit that his instincts were wrong.

I made my way back to Gaius's chambers and saw that he was in there with Merlin, looking rather amused. I could hear Merlin was complaining about working with Arthur, but I didn't take any notice as I walked up to our room. As I stepped in, I could feel both their eyes on me, but I ignored it and sat on my bed, trying to figure out what the hell had just happened with Arthur. I really didn't understand his concern, we had only just met, and he wasn't particularly fond of my brother, so I saw no reason for him to like me, and care for me.

In saying that though, I felt strange around Arthur. I had noticed that I felt less shy, and more confident with him, and my back was tingling slightly whenever he was around. It was like there was a small voice in my head saying that I could trust him, and that I should be close to him. Maybe I was going insane, but I thought I should listen to this instinct, I don't think Arthur would try to kill me, or take advantage of me.