Chapter 10 - The Beginning of the End

"Gaius I'm taking Morgana's tonic to her." I yelled, and Gaius nodded. I walked out of the changers and through the castle to Morgana's. I knocked on the door and heard someone yell 'Come in.' So I opened the door and walked in, closing it behind me. "Amara." Gwen said, greeting me. Morgana then walked into the room, and smiled at me. "Here, this is yours." I said placing it on her bedside table.

"Thank you Amara." She said, before sitting down at her vanity and started brushing her hair. "It was strange, Arthur couldn't stop yawning at breakfast, he looked exhausted." Morgana commented, and I blushed as I thought about my night with Arthur last night. I was about to walk out the room again, but the door burst open, and I looked over to see Merlin with a small boy, who was wearing simple white clothes and a blue cloak.

"Have you forgotten how to knock Merlin?!" Morgana questioned, probably not noticing the boy who was with my brother. "The guards are after him. I didn't know what to do." He said, breathless from running through the castle. "My lady? My lady?" I heard a voice come from the other side of the door. "In there." Morgana said, pointing at a small area that was covered with a curtain.

The two went behind there before Morgana went over there and opened the door. Morgana talked to the guard, and I tried to look busy by talking to Gwen. Then Morgana closed the door and we all rushed over to the curtain. The boy had passed out in Merlin's arms and he was bleeding slightly. "I'll go back to Gaius's chambers, get some medical equipment so I can help him." I said, and I hurried out of the room.

I was glad that Gaius wasn't in there when I went in, I grabbed things to help with the boy's wound and other remedies that may help in case it either got infected, or he had a fever. I then left the room and hurried back to Morgana's chambers. When I got there I knocked and Morgana let me in. I went over to the curtain, and I saw that Merlin was still there, and the boy had passed out in his arms.

I practiced the necessary procedures on the boy, and made sure that his fever would go down, and I dressed his wound. "When he wakes, get him to drink this, I should get back to Gaius before he gets suspicious. Send for me if he gets worse or if he needs something." I said, and Merlin nodded at the instructions. I said goodbye to both Morgana and Gwen before leaving, and going back to completing my tasks for the day.

Later that day I was in the chambers by myself, and heard a commotion coming from outside. I opened the window and saw that the execution platform had been erected, and there was a crowd forming. I saw that the King was standing watching and I wouldn't be surprised if the person being executed was a magic user.

"People of Camelot, the man before you is guilty of using enchantments and magic. Under our law, the sentence for this crime is death. We're still searching for his accomplice. Anyone found harbouring the boy is guilty of conspiracy, and will be executed as a traitor. Let this serve as a warning to your people." I heard the King say. I sighed, realising I had been right. I closed the window and turned away, not wanting to watch what was going on.

After a few seconds I felt my pain pass through my back. I gasped lightly and thought I heard someone scream 'No!' but I knew there was no-one else in the room. Also a vision of an axe flashed across my eyes. I leant over and placed my hands on the table that I was near. I took a few deep breaths before the pain subsided and I could get back to what I was doing before, noting down in my book about my pain this time.

That evening the three of us were eating dinner in silence, when Merlin asked Gaius a question. "Do you know much about the druids?" He asked, and I looked at Gaius, also curious as there weren't many books on them. "Very little. They're very secretive people. Especially now they're being hunted by Uther. Merlin, please tell me you haven't got yourself mixed up in this." Gaius said, and I sighed slightly, hoping that he would've had more information than that. "Me? No. Mixed up in what?" Merlin said, trying to lie, and failing dismally.