8-The Sighting-

"I honestly don't get why you still hang out with those two," Mandy comments, sipping her water bottle. Her bronzed legs are crossed, her arm cushioning her head. The two girls lounge on the padded white chairs at the back of Mandy's father's pleasure boat. They gaze at their island home in the distance, squinting from the bright sun through their sunglasses.

Brevity shrugs as she lathers more sunscreen on her skin. "They can be cool sometimes," she casts her eyes downward. "Plus, I knew them since I was little. Our parents were friends an all. It's really hot out, isn't it?"

Mandy looks at her. "It's not so bad with the breeze." She slips her flip flops off. "So what's the deal with Sticks's cousin? Where'd he come from?"

Brevity looks away, troubled. "I don't know. She... she never told me she had a cousin." She's hurt that Julie never told her, not that it's a big secret. Still, you'd think she'd know about stuff like extended family after knowing someone for so long.

Mandy scoffs.

"What?"

"I told you they don't want you around them anymore. They don't like that you hang out with me. And you know why they don't like me?" She sits up, leaning toward Brevity. Brevity shakes her head. "Because I can see them for what they are, and I'm not afraid of pointing it out. They're jealous of me and you. We're beautiful, smart, talented girls. Other people like us, and they're still in the background." She pauses. She puts concern and feigned pity in her frown. "I know you still have a soft spot for them, but they've moved on. It's time you do the same."

"Yeah... you're probably right."

"No, I am right. You're better than them, Brev."

She smiles weakly. "Thanks."

"But... come on," Mandy raises her eyebrows. "That boy... is hot."

Brevity smiles. "He was pretty cute."

"His arms were like boulders." Brevity laughs. Mandy fans herself then looks at her friend. "We need to find out how long he's staying for. By God, if one of us hasn't made out with him by the time he leaves...." she shakes her head.

Brevity, still smiling, says. "I'll find out what I can. In the meantime, how does a couple of sandwiches of sound?"

"Heavenly."

Brev swings her legs over the side and goes back to retrieve the cooler.

Mandy continues to gaze forward, watching the sunlight twinkle on the water.

And then a mass of what looks like seaweed floats to the surface. She wrinkles her nose.

But then it rises, clinging to a head.

"Oh my God," Mandy gasps, leaning forward. Her heart skipped a beat. Is that a person?

"There's someone out there!" She starts, jolting to her feet.

She catapults off of the boat deck and into the icy water.

There's no way someone would be swimming out this far.

Mandy's head bursts from the surface, arms slapping the water, propelling her forward.

The head turns around. The girl's face hones in on Mandy. Her eyes widen.

"I'm gona help you," Mandy pants. "Get on my boat, I'll-"

The girl curls back under the water. Her torso ends in black teal tipped fish scales.

Brevity splashes from behind, trailing a bright yellow life vest. She looks around, searching for the person.

"I thought you said there was someone out here?"

Mandy stares at the spot where the girl disappeared, feeling numb.

"Mandy, are you okay?"

Mandy blinks. "Yeah, no I'm fine. Sorry about that... it was just a dolphin."