31-Twenty Minutes Later

Twenty minutes later, we're in fishy smelling dock water. Sebastian stops to allow us to grab onto someone's boat. He grabs on too, letting himself rest. He's exhausted. He just carried three people at the speed of a jet ski.

"Thank you," Luca exhales.

"You saved us,"I add.

Sebastian purses his lips, his eyes pleading.

"We'll get there first," Luca assures, climbing up the boat. "They'll be safe if I have anything to do with it. Meet us back at the house."

Sebastian nods, his mind grateful, yet rigid with uneasiness, then dives back under.

"Did he-?"

Luca nods, offering me his hand. "He did the mind-meld. We're linked."

He pulls me up.

"They're on their way to your house," he continues.

"The Krisses?"

"The mermaids. I told them to hide there. Sebastian didn't follow so he could help us. They could be there now."

I clamber onto the boat, bringing a puddle with me.

"Who's the other one?" I inquire, thinking back to the image Sebastian showed me. I leap onto the dock.

I grab Luca's hand, steadying him as he steps on board beside me.

"His mate."

 Mate? As in best friend? Or... oh. His mate. His... oh. So the little girl is his.... but he's so young.

Luca starts jogging forward. "Come on!"

I blink, look at him, and break into a sprint beside him.