Chapter 12

"shit!" he hissed opening his eyes. his heart was beating in his throat, but he pressed the gas harder, speeding up. suddenly he couldn't breathe. "it's okay. it's okay don't do it. don't do it Lightning." he murmured to himself, trying desperately to catch his breath.

Sheriff flew down the road in his cruiser, going after Lightning as quick as he could. he relaxed once he caught sight of him, but his relief was quickly replaced with more panic when he saw the car swerve, avoiding an invisible object.

"Sheriff have you found him yet?" Mack called over the radio.

"I've got eyes on the kid, he's serving all over the road, thank god no ones out here!" Sheriff said.

"where are you?" Doc hissed.

"two miles from town and counting he just keep speeding up!" Sheriff said. the radio went silent and suddenly Sheriff heard an engine behind him, Doc was coming up fast in his rear view, determined to catch up to the kid before he hurt himself. he knew the Hornet would speed past his old Mercury Cruiser any day and moved over a little so Doc could pass. Sheriff turned his attention back to the car in front of him, but found it was gone.

"where'd he go?" Mack ask, coming up behind them in his cab.

"he just disappeared." Sheriff said looking ahead. he felt his heart drop. "oh god, straight a head on the left is that smoke?" Sheriff ask.

"Mack call for Red have him meet us out here!" Doc hissed, easily speeding around the Cruiser. Sheriff moved out of his way, following after him. when he finally caught up to Doc, he was jumping out of the Hornet. he ran towards the crashed car, Lightning had hit the Radiator Springs welcome billboard. the front end was destroyed and the car was on fire.

"kid!" Doc shouted, running over to the car. Sheriff skid to a stop, following him over. Mack wasn't far off. "did he have his helmet on?" Doc ask, trying to find away around the fire to get to Lightning.

"not that I saw." Sheriff said. Doc nodded.

"kid! kid can you hear me!" Doc shouted, stepping back. "Lightning! kid!" Doc shouted. he turned hearing sirens. Red came flying down the road in his fire truck, lights and sirens blaring. he pulled up to the car, silently pushing Doc and Sheriff back. he was in his fire retardant firefighter uniform, and he wasn't playing around. shy as he may be, he wouldn't hesitate to yell at his friends to get away from the fire until he had it handled, thankfully they stepped back and let him do his job.. he grabbed the hose from his truck and set to work.

"the kids still in there Red." Sheriff said. Red nodded at him silently, soaking the car down until all that was left was a smoking husk. he dropped the hose and ran over to the driver side, leaning into Lightning. his face was bleeding and he wasn't conscious, though Red silently suspected he wasn't conscious when he crashed. he reached in carefully and shut the car off, gently feeling Lightnings neck, then stepped back and gave Doc a thumbs up. Doc and Sheriff immediately ran over, dragging the young racer out of his car.

"kid? Lightning?" Doc ask, shaking him gently. "kid! hey!" Doc shouted. Lightning groaned quietly, but didn't move. "Mack get him loaded up in the cab, I'll follow you in the Hornet. take him back to my house. Sheriff-" Doc started.

"I'll wait for Mater to tow it back." Sheriff said. Doc nodded watching Mack scoop Lightning up.

"idiot kid." Doc glared. they headed back to the town, passing Mater in his tow truck.

Mack took the injured man back to Docs, laying him on the couch gently. he stepped back letting Doc patch up Lightnings face. Lightning didn't wake, but he did whimper as Doc worked on his face. Mack walked over once Doc was done.