Chapter 15

"great way to shut you up." Doc said. Lightning glared at him. "I believe you kid, but you need proof of the illegal spikes. you can't just go around saying that stuff without proof kid." Doc added.

"but I have proof-" Lightning tried.

"scratches on your car don't count." Doc said.

"gouges!" Lightning argued. Doc sighed and grabbed his face gently.

"look at me. he threatened you, I know. I believe you about the spikes, but you're going to get kicked out without proof and you know it. gouges and scratches don't count. you need proof. pictures or something." Doc said. Lightning and sighed and nodded.

"I know." he mumbled, dropping his head against Docs shoulder.

"on the bright side, you didn't do any more damage to your arm." Doc mumbled.

"Doc can we just go... train now or something?" Lightning ask, holding his injured arm. Doc nodded and helped him up.

"can you handle a few rounds around the track?" Doc ask. Lightning nodded.

"yeah. I can do it." Lightning said.

"I won't be easy on you this time." Doc warns.

"thats okay." Lightning assured. Doc nodded at him and headed outside. Lightning followed him. Chick and his crew had left already. Doc led him straight to the Hornet. he watched the younger, waiting to see if he'd react, but he simply climbed into the car. Doc smiled and climbed into the car. he headed for Willies Butte. he did his best not to look over at Lightning, but he glanced over occasionally Lightning was staring out the window. he seemed to be trying to relax himself.

"would it help if I kept you talking?" Doc ask as he started to speed around the track.

"you're not going to be able to hold my hand on the track Doc, I have to be able to do this by myself." Lightning said.

"kid, you've never done this by yourself and you don't have to start now. no I can't physically hold your hand on the track, but I'm always in your headset. anytime you start loosing it out there, I'm always there." Doc said. Lightning looked over at him. "you realize that right?" Doc ask. Lightning looked at him, then back out the window. "Lightning, I know you don't realize it, but we're here to help you. this team, you know we're your friends. we're not just going to leave because you wrecked. you're not a one man team." Doc said softly. Lightning sighed.

"I know. I know I'm not a one man team Doc... I just... I feel like... I have to do this. I know I have to do this myself." Lightning said.

"stop it. no you don't." Doc glared, hitting the breaks. he parked the car and grabbed Lightnings good arm. Lightning looked at the hand around his wrist. "look at me right now." Doc said.

"Doc-" Lightning started looking up at him.

"kid you are not a one man crew. you're not by yourself. you're not going to get any better trying to do this shit by yourself." Doc snapped. Lightning sat back slightly, surprised. "you can't do this by yourself. you need to depend on us. don't do that kid. we spent years making progress on you thinking you have to do this by yourself and I won't let you mess it up." Doc snapped. Lightnings shoulders fell. "we want to help you. we are a team, but you have to let us." Doc said softly.

"but you guys can't help. you don't know whats going through my head." Lightning said.

"because you won't let us. you won't let me." Doc said. "I know exactly what you're going through kid and you've got to stop this. either let me help or tell me you don't want me to be your crew chief anymore." Doc snapped.