You're real to me

Madison helped James to the bed again like before. "Are you okay?" she asked gently.

"I'm fine," James said, wincing a bit. "I'm surprised she didn't just pop me out of existence."

"I've never seen her like that. i mean, i don't know her or anything, but..."

"Yeah, well... I did grab her arm pretty hard."

"No," Madison said fiercely. "She created you just for fun and didn't think of how you felt. And she wasn't taking you seriously. You had a right to be mad."

"Yeah, I did. but I lost my temper too," he admitted. "I didn't have to grab her like that or anything. I'm sorry for being forceful with you too."

"I'm sorry for saying what I said," Madison said softly. "I didn't mean to hurt you."

"It's alright." James sighed, looking down dejectedly. "I just have to come to terms with the fact that I'm not real. Or at least, my experiences aren't. But I AM my experiences."

"Listen to me," Madison said, sitting on the bed and gently lifting his head up by his chin. "It's true... none of that was real. But you know something? You've always been real to me."

James scoffed and looked away, and Madison turned his head back to her again.

"I'm alone all the time. I have no friends. Boys at school are mean to me. I hate them. The girls just ignore me. and my... my mom is also gone, and my dad also drinks a lot and ignores me."

James' face grew softer as Madison's hands left his face. he didn't look away again.

"I don't like my life. It's boring, and sad, and just... disappointing. Sometimes I don't feel real. I feel like I don't belong here and I belong in some fantasy world that I read about. I picked up your book, and I got hooked because of you. Because I loved your character so much. I wanted to see you succeed. I wished you were real sometimes so you could be my friend. I never expected anything like this to happen." She blushed. "I literally said good night to you last night. Just because you make me feel better." She sniffled and wiped some tears away, looking down at the bed.

James was silent for a moment, then reached out to take her hands, making her look up at him. "Thank you." He brought one of her hands up to his lips and kissed it, making her cheeks grow hotter. "I'm sorry. Where are my manners? Hi. I'm James Marsh. And you are?"

She giggled. "Madison. Madison Adams."

He smiled at her. "why don't we look at the book together? Find out what happens to... "me"".

"sounds fun!" She said excitedly, hurrying to the bookshelf. "Hmm... wasn't it right here?"

"Huh?"

"It's gone! The book is gone!"

Gladys sat down in her rocking chair at her home, opening up A Mirror of Eis and beginning to read

"Who are you, James Marsh?"