04 | JEALOUSY, JEALOUSY

- - - -

- - - -

"So you're telling me that you're seriously too sick to even get out of bed?" Valerie asked her bestfriend Chrissy as she sat herself on the end of the girls bed.

Attempting to sit up, Chrissy sniffled before replying "what do you think?"

In all honesty, she did look and sound ill.

"Fine, I'll bring you up some breakfast before I head to class." She commented, standing up and grabbing her robes from her own bed.

* * * *

After dropping off some breakfast to Chrissy; because she was such a nice friend, Valerie hurried downstairs so not to be late to potions, which was her first lesson of the day.

Professor Snape took every opportunity to take house points away from Gryffindors, and Valerie wasn't going to have that happen to her today.

When she arrived Professor Snape was writing on the blackboard at the front of the classroom, and luckily took no notice of her arrival, so she hurried to take her usual seat next to Cedric, who was her partner in potions.

"Today we are going to be learning about how to make a calming draught." Came their professor's voice from the front of the classroom as he turned to look at the class "if you could turn to page thirteen."

Valerie opened her textbook and began flicking through the pages as she turned to Cedric "so do you know yet wether you're on the quidditch team?"

"No, I think we'll find out later though." He answered with a sigh, rubbing his face "it's stressful though." He gave a small awkward laugh.

"Hey, there's nothing to stress about, you're a great quidditch player! It's their loss if you don't make the team." Valerie answered with a smile toward the boy she called her best-friend.

Cedric broke out into a grin, their hands less than inches apart from touching on the desk, before were (rudely) interrupted by someone clearing their throat from behind them.

They both whipped around to see their professor stood boredly, with Ria next to him, a sickly sweet smile on her face.

"Miss Conway will be joining you two for this lesson, seeing as Miss Clemonte failed to turn up to class today." Snape spoke, eyeing Valerie suspiciously, as if he thought she was apart of some sort of elaborate plan.

"Chrissy's sick, professor." Valerie answered.

"I'm sure." He nodded, sounding anything but sure.

As he turned and walked away, Ria happily took a seat next to Cedric and instantly began talking to him, completely ignoring Valerie's presence.

"Right.. I'll.. just go and grab the ingredients.. for the draught." Valerie sighed, standing up from her seat.

"Oh, yeah I'll help. Ria you wait here, we won't be long." Cedric spoke hurriedly, following after the girl.

As she and Cedric reached the back of the classroom, and began checking the recipe, Valerie spoke "Of course she was gonna be partnered with us, just our luck." She grumbled.

"You seem to dislike her a lot." He laughed.

"And you don't." She raised her eyebrows.

"I don't hate her, but I wouldn't call her a friend." He answered with a shrug, picking something up from the table and smelling it, though he pulled a face and quickly placed it back down, so it can't have been nice.

"You're too nice for your own good Cedric Diggory." Valerie laughed with a shake of her head.

* * * *

For the rest of the lesson Ria continued her conversation with Cedric, not involving Valerie at all. Cedric did try his best, but every time he attempted to involve Valerie, Ria changed the subject.

This left Valerie to make the potion alone, as Cedric chopped some ingredients for her, and Ria did a grant total of 0 things to help.

She didn't exactly mind this, Valerie enjoyed potions class. There was a reason she was one of Snape's top students.

What bugged her the most, was having to listen to, and watch the way Ria acted toward Cedric. The way she fluttered her eyelashes, and twirled her hair around her finger. The way she touched his arm.

She hated it all. But she couldn't work out why.

What reason did she have to be jealous of Ria and Cedric?

* * * *

When the lesson was finally over, Cedric and Valerie were headed back to Valerie's dorm quickly, so they could visit and check up on Chrissy.

But as they passed the Hufflepuff common room, an excitable first year rushed over "Cedric, come quick! The quidditch team list is up!"

With a nervous grin toward Valerie, Cedric took her hand and rushed toward his common room. There was a small crowd surrounding the notice board, and Cedric had to slightly push his way forward to see the list.

And there it was, Cedric was the new Hufflepuff Seeker.

As soon as he read it, Cedric turned to look at Valerie with a massive grin on his face, which mirrored her own. He excitedly pulled her into a tight hug.

She gave a small giggle and whispered "I knew you could do it."

As she opened her eyes, she made eye-contact with someone stood a little way off. Ria. Who was staring, with a slight glare, but Cedric seemed completely unaware.

Word count - 944
Published 18/8/21
Edited ?
I don't know why this chapter took me so long to write, but I just had no idea to go around it, plus I had some major writers block for a while. But I'm back, and hopefully the next chapter won't take so long to get out. So fingers crossed for Sunday, but don't hold me to it. I hope you enjoyed! Mwah