𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱 ; the flayed

WILL'S JAW clenched in rage after observing the marks on Amelia's neck caused by Billy's grip earlier that evening. Amelia was quick to reassure him that everything was fine. The group had made the decision to spend the night in Mike's basement, as they were aware that they would be unable to sleep.

They lay side by side, unable to leave each other's company. It was late, and the rest of the group had already fallen asleep. The presence of the other comforted them as they stared up at Mike's basement ceiling. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"About what?" Amelia questioned, confused. Will grabbed her wrist and motioned to the numbers tattooed on it. "Oh, I don't know. I was scared, sorry."

The boy hummed. "It's okay."

He turned to face her, and she reciprocated. "So," he began. "Superpowers, huh?" Amelia scoffed mockingly before turning away, her back to him. Will smiled and closed his eyes, sighing. His arm absentmindedly wrapped around her waist over the blanket.

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚

Eleven wanted to go into the void the next morning to find Hopper; he wasn't answering any of her calls. She sat on the couch with her eyes covered with a blindfold.

In the background, the television was playing static. The party waited in anticipation, sometimes finding themselves staring at Amelia for the events of the previous night because she still hadn't explained her powers. "I found him."

"Where is he?" Max inquired.

"Woods."

Lucas' expression became puzzled. "Woods?"

"He's with Will's mom." Amelia's brow furrowed in incomprehension. "My— my mom?"

"What are they doing?" Mel wondered aloud. "Ill. . . annoy," El stated. "They're going to Ill-annoy."

At the top of the stairs, they heard a knock. "Mike, breakfast!" Mrs. Wheeler yelled.

"Not right now, Mom!" Mike shifted his gaze to the stairs, then back to Eleven. "Illinois? Illinois, like the state? The state of Illinois?"

El shrugged as she took off her blindfold. "Ill-annoy." 

Amelia got up from her spot on the floor and held her hand out to El. "Come on."

Max trailed behind her as she led her to the restroom. She took a towel from the cupboard and lightly dampened it before wiping the blood from El's nose. "Does it still hurt?" Max inquired as she examined the bruise Billy had given her. 

"Only when I talk." El replied.

"Well, it's a good thing you're not Mike, then. 'Blah, blah, blah, blah', you'd be in constant pain." Amelia laughed.

"What about you, Mel?" El questioned. She lifted her neck, revealling purple and red marks that resembled fingerprints. "It doesn't hurt all that much, just every once in a while."

"I'm sorry, Mel. It's my fault," Max dryly chuckled, looking down. "No, it isn't. It's that annoying prick who comes back like every six months."

Outside the door, there was a quiet conversation. Lucas, Mike, and Will were arguing about how the girls were 'conspiring' against Mike and how him and El simply took a break despite El's claims that she dumped him. Before Amelia spoke, the three girls exchanged glances. "All right, I'll do it."

Amelia gently opened the door and stepped out. "Oh my gosh, Mike. Yes! We are plotting against you. How did you know? Also, in case El didn't make it clear, she said she dumped your ass, so please shut up before I send you to the Upside Down myself, you know I will."