Part 4

2014     You and MJ were lying on the roof of her apartment building

2014
You and MJ were lying on the roof of her apartment building. She was the one to suggest it after she had seen how cloudy your eyes were. With her parents' permission, the two of you gathered blankets and pillows and built a fort.
You had been out here for a while and got cold considering it was late at night and chilly in New York.
Michelle noticed you shivering and offered her blanket. Was it an excuse for her to be close to you? Maybe.
You ended up watching the stars all night.
"Sometimes I wish I could be a star." You were still staring up at the glistening night sky. MJ turned towards you and stared at your profile.
The corners of your mouth twitched up.
"It just seems so peaceful up there, you know?" You paused and took a sniff before gulping down any sobs that attempted to escape. "I'd get to be with my mom again if she's up there."
A tear fell down your cold cheeks and Michelle lifted the edge of the blanket to wipe it.
"But then," you whispered. Mj watched you turn your head and face her. She felt you intertwine your fingers and squeeze them. "But then, I think about you. And how you've helped me. And how I don't think I can live without you."
The two of you continue to stargaze for the rest of the night, thinking about each other's warmth that kept you heated on cold days.
-
"You know, that was pretty badass."
You heard a faint raspy chuckle before a gentle sigh.
"Are you okay?"
"Nat, I'm fine," you say letting out a nervous laugh.
"I'm going to give you a chance to answer that again."
Your hand went to rest on the back of your neck as you shrugged your shoulders.
"I'm fine. I don't know what you want me to say."
There was an aggressive exhale of breath and you could tell the redhead was getting slightly frustrated.
"(Y/n) this is the first call I've gotten from you in two years. You are not okay! If I were to ask M.I.A.-"
"I don't know, Nat! I don't know."
Your back hit the hard wall and you sank to the floor. Your body felt as if gravity had decided to put all of its force upon you.
"I don't know."
It was nothing but a mere whisper. It sounded as if you were a young boy going through puberty.
"C-can we just not?"
She lets out another sigh.
"I've missed you kid."
"Miss you too."