Part One

The harsh bark of cherrywood striking oak echoed, especially when chorused with a pitiful howl.

"Wilson!! Wilson, open the door!! You can't leave cripples out in the cold! Wilson, this is borderline abuse!!"

The door suddenly opened leaving House and his cane mid-swing, "you're not Wilson."

She certainly wasn't, not unless Wilson has changed genders and had the most intricate of plastic surgery to look like a drop dead gorgeous woman.

Her brunette hair cascaded over her shoulders, the warm light from the apartment highlighted the blonde undertones that lay within. Her eyes a hue of hazel green, full of warmth and completely enticing. He could feel his jaw slackening, in danger of drooling like an oversexed hound, her fault entirely of course.

"No, no I'm not Wilson but I'm guessing you're House?" She stood to the side welcoming him into the apartment. Not that he needed telling twice, the rubber end of his cane squeak-thumping against the hardwood floors as he hobbled over to the couch, dumping his jacket, helmet and rucksack in an unkempt pile and made himself comfortable.

"So who are you? Not seen you around the hospital so I doubt very much you're a nurse."

"I'm Jo and no I'm not a nurse, I'm a teacher." She bit her tongue at chastising him for cluttering up the floor, he might be a pain in the ass but as Wilson's friend, she wanted to win him over.

"Let me guess... home ec?" He commented whilst she hung up his leather jacket.

"No, music. Can I get you a drink?"

"Sure."

He smirked indulgently when she emerged from the kitchen with two beers, sinking down on the opposite end of the couch she passed one over clinking it with hers, "James has told me a lot about you."

"All bad things I'm guessing?"

A coy smile tugged at the corner of her lips, "some good some bad, you're an interesting guy Greg House."

"You don't know half of it. Where is Wilson anyway?"

"He got a page but he promised to bring back wine and dinner." She leaned over to the coffee table to retrieve her phone unconsciously giving House a tantalizing glimpse of her cleavage. "Let me text him and tell him to bring back extra, Chinese okay?"

"Yeah, tell him to get my usual."

"Which is?" She asked without her eyes deviating from the phone.

"Duck Lo Mein."

"No way! That's my go-to order too. Wow, we both have great taste."

There was a slight hint of a tease in her tone and House couldn't help smiling back.

He swallowed the last of his beer, pointing the empty bottle in Jo's direction. "Yeah but you're dating Wilson, I'd say you've got very questionable tastes."

Jo giggled knowing that teasing was what House did. She caught hold of the bottle and headed off to the fridge for a couple more fresh beers while House sat on the couch mentally chastising himself for commenting like that.

She was beautiful. He wouldn't deny that, easy to talk to, quick-witted and very smart. She seemed to understand him immediately, didn't fall for his petulant bullshit tactics which is usually how it went and seemed to really enjoy his company.

So much so, that neither of them heard the key in the door and Wilson's entrance, both too busy laughing about a funny anecdote shared.

"I see you two are getting along."