Part 4

Part Four

The apartment felt empty without her, she made the place feel like a home instead of just being a place to lay his head at night. He hated the thought of her across town, alone in her apartment. Hell, he didn't even know where her apartment was, only that she was too far away. He doubted he'd be able to sleep that night due to his pining-induced insomnia.

What was baffling House the most, was the lack of empathy or care from Wilson. He just let Jo leave without even trying to stop or fighting for her. He couldn't understand it at all, it was as though he was deliberately wrecking their relationship. If he wanted to be with other women, surely it made sense to end things with Jo instead of treating her like a fool and cheating behind her back.

But House couldn't let himself think and ruminate too much on that, otherwise, he'd be throwing a right hook in Wilson's direction to try and knock some sense into him.

The next morning things were strained in the apartment, Wilson plastered on a faux happy facade that House saw through immediately.

"You spoke to Jo this morning?"

"Uhh, no, I haven't." Wilson stammered and reached for the coffee pot as a means of changing the conversation, "coffee?"

"Why not? You just let her walk out of here without saying a word. If it was me-"

"But I'm not you, House." Wilson cut him off, "I'm respecting her by giving her some much-needed space. You're hardly a relationship guru yourself, so if you don't mind, I'll figure things out on my own."

House shook his head and cracked his knuckles, a move that didn't go unnoticed by Wilson. But just as he feared House may lunge and throw a fist his way, he breathed a sigh of relief when he instead reached for his coffee cup and drank the lukewarm contents down in a heady gulp.

"You're a moron, Wilson."

And with that final scathing review, House disappeared into the guest room to retrieve his jacket, rucksack and helmet and headed out of the door for work, leaving Wilson propped against the breakfast bar wishing House had just punched him and gotten it out of the way.

-x-x-x-

With every passing hour, House gained hope. Hope that the more time they spent apart, Jo would realise he was the man for her instead of Wilson. It was an intoxicating thought and he soon found himself obsessing and ruminating.

Sitting alone in his office in a muted bubble, House allowed his mind to wander as the hospital and his team continued working around him.

He imagined life with Jo, a life full of music and great conversation. She understood him on a level that no one had ever reached, he could let his guard down with her and got the impression she felt the same with him. He could see a future with her, something he'd never imagined with the likes of Stacy. With Stacy, he was happy for life to ebb and flow around them and take their relationship along until the bitterness of his leg injury poisoned what little happiness they shared.

His train of thought is interrupted when he spots Thirteen walking into his office with a curious expression across her brow.

"Case solved yet?"

"Getting there," she looked intently at his eyes, noting the lightness in them, "how are you?"

"I can't keep anything from you, can I?"

"Not now," Thirteen chuckled, taking the seat opposite, "c'mon, spill. Your face says it all, what's got you fighting that smile?"

House allowed the smile he'd been holding back to break through transforming his rugged features, "Jo broke up with Wilson."