Prologue

Khaenri'ah is a desolate land of survival of the fittest. The strongest prevail, while the weak shrivel and turn to dust. Some, however, are never able to test their strength. They are consumed by a flame burning brighter than theirs, and will never be able to breathe their first breaths of life. They watch through the eyes of one that robbed them of a chance, awaiting the day that they may too, become a flame bright enough to survive. 

They all knew only one was going to make it. And they all knew which one it would be. He was the most resilient. Brave. Strong. In comparison, Keys and Kaya were nothing but fodder to keep the strongest alive. But what they lacked in strength, they gained in intelligence. They've been planning this since the moment they had a chance. A chance to breathe, and one day feel the earth running through their physical forms. 

All they needed was an agreement. 

The strongest knew of his siblings' fate. He knew that he was going to have to consume them in order to survive. Unlike most, it did not bother him in the slightest. He was going to do whatever it took to live. He wasn't going to let them take advantage of him. 

All he needed was an opportunity. 

Two against one was never a fair fight. While one was powerful, two were calculated. They worked in sync, covering for the other when they were left open. The three souls clashed and tore at each other in a fight of endurance and strength, while looking for a weakness to show itself before it was too late. 

Keys was losing stability. She knew she wouldn't last much longer. Looking to her right, it was obvious Kaya was out of energy. They were slow, and their reactions were delayed. 

Kaya looked to Keys, and shared a knowing look that they wouldn't make it. They needed to act fast, before their brother took advantage of their weakness and consumed them. 

Keys was the fastest of the three. She darted to her brother's side as Kaya stayed put. Kaya was the slowest, but they were the most cunning. This was a plan they've had since they first had a thought. Keys put a weak, defeated look on her face, and sank to a kneeling position. Kaya stood still, making sure their breathing was loud, and sounding more labored. 

This was their last shot. They could not afford to make a mistake. 

Their brother shifted from one foot to the other, seemingly wondering if he'd taken it too far. But they knew that nothing was too far for him. He'd do anything it took to dominate and thrive. 

Now for the hardest part of their plan. He had to consume them. He walked towards Keys and loomed over her soul-like form. As he was about to devour her, Keys pressed her head against his and used the last of her strength to infuse her soul into his. 

"Brother, you are the strongest of us, and are destined to live. Allow me to lend you my speed in exchange for a view of life. Take my name, so you are always reminded of me." 

With that, Keys allowed herself to be devoured. The now half-brother half-sister stalked over to Kaya. The plan was almost complete. 

"Key's generosity and bravery has inspired me. In exchange for my wit, give me the best viewpoint where you will see the world. Infuse my name with Key's, so that you will be reminded that you would not have lived without us every time your name is called." 

Kaya touched his forehead, ingraining their power in him. In a blink, both Keys and Kaya were imbued with their brother. 

Over time, their brother grew stronger and determined. Keys and Kaya watched silently and patiently for the day they would see the world. 

Their mother held the newborn brother in gentle arms. Kaeya, was what she named him. The world was so much more beautiful than what all three of them could have imagined. They could not wait for the day they would take over and breathe the fresh air, and feel the ground beneath their feet.  In the meantime, they watched through the eye they took over, waiting for their strength to grow. Leaving a fire, no matter how small, will grow hot enough to burn even the mightiest of castles.