Chapter 8

"Jack." His voice, you notice now since you aren’t outside and the wind is still, is low and raspy, as if he has rarely used it. It irritates your ears a bit, but , to be very honest, you don’t care for it that much.

"I'd like to say 'nice to meet you', but, you know, you just broke into my house and I'd appreciate it if you left." You definitely sound braver than you are feeling . You take a step back as the guy takes a step closer, his head tilted to the right in curiosity.

"You didn't like my gift?" The question catches you off guard. You are not sure which gift he is referring to.

As if he knows what you are thinking, he nods his head in the direction of the bed, to the pillow, to be more precise. Your stomach does a flip as soon as you remember the organ ... The organ ...
Your breath catches in your throat. "That was you?" you ask. You want to back off him, but it’s as if you are rooted to the spot. You simply can’t move.

His nod confirms your suspicions. "She used to like them, did you know? The spleens?"

Your brow furrows in confusion, and you narrow your eyes at the guys. What does he mean? She used to like them? Spleens? If you didn't already know that this guy is absolutely bonkers, you definitely are sure now. However, something -- maybe the fact that he probably has a scalpel or something else with a blade hidden in his pocket and that he has given you an organ as a gift -- tells you that telling this guy that you are sure he belongs in a mental hospital of some kind isn’t the best idea.

"Oh, uh, t-thanks for that but ... you didn't have to, you know." You try to keep your voice steady, but you are wondering if he has noticed the crack in your voice at the beginning of your sentence. Your hands are still tightly holding onto the plank. Hopefully, you don’t have to use it.
"I wanted to, Felic-- Oh , I'm sorry, I mean, [Name]. Your voices are so alike -- were so alike -- are so alike."

Yup, he is completely and utterly bonkers.

"H-how do you know my name?" you ask, your voice barely a whisper, even though you kind of know the answer already anyways. He doesn't even deign to answer your question, instead tilting his head to the other side slowly .

You cautiously inch towards the door, hoping that he doesn't realize your intentions until you are at said door, however -- of course -- his eyes seem to be trained on you the whole time and you have barely moved an inch before he cocks his head to the right once again.

"Do I scare you, [Name]?"

How the hell do you answer that? 'Why yes, Jack, you scare the bejeesus out of me.' You almost snort at your own thoughts, but then think twice about your situation. So far he hasn't attacked you, hasn't been aggressive, well, at least as long as you pretend that day near the woods was an odd encounter. He is just standing there after all, seemingly staring at you.
"N-no, you don't." Your own answer surprises even you, but his face, hidden behind the mask, tilts down slightly, as if in a pleased nod.

"Good. Only prey should be afraid."

You gulp at his words. You are slightly confused, to say the least, and your hands are shaking, but you will yourself to lower the plank, at least low enough not to pose an open threat but at the same time high enough to strike if he should attack you.

"And I'm not prey?" Again your voice trembles, but this time you're proud to say it doesn't tremble enough to be noticed by him.

"Of course not. Your voice is ... entrancing. You remind me of someone I ... lost." he speaks, and you can see from the way his mask is tilted towards you that he's staring at you quite intensely.
The mask’s inky holes where his eyes should be scare you a bit, since he appears to not have any eyes at all this way.

Throwing caution to the wind, you drop the plank to the ground and clear your throat awkwardly .
"Look, Jack, I'm sorry you lost her, I'm truly am, but ... I'm not her." You almost kick yourself for most likely getting your own butt into trouble, and expecting the worst, you flinch as he takes the few steps separating the both of you. You don't even think of lifting the plank, but at this point you really don't want to make yourself seem like a threat. You ... look like a threat? You would laugh at yourself if the situation weren't this weird.

His gloved fingers grabs your chin, pulling it so that you are looking at him, your [E/C] eyes widened at his proximity. A strange metallic scent is clinging to his clothes and makes you feel uncomfortable. You can look closer at his mask now, and so you notice that the holes he has for his eyes are indeed made to look like dark pits of despair. Some tar-like substance is dripping from the sockets, a lone drop of it falling on your floor, and for once, you thank the heavens that you don't have a carpet in your room. This substance looks like something that would be very difficult to come out.

He seems to inspect you, head tilting left then right before finally leaning in. He pulls his mask up, of course making sure you can't see underneath, before pressing his nose to your neck. He's cold, frigid, an icicle.

Yelping, you jump and try to get away from him, but his grip is tight, and now he is , pressing his nose closer to the part of your neck where you know that one artery runs right beneath your skin ... or something like that, you're not too familiar with human anatomy. He breathes in hard, then runs his tongue over your neck once before finally letting you go, pulling his mask back down swiftly.

You stumble backwards and hit the door, the knob digging into your lower back.

"Yes, of course you aren't, [Name], you don't look much like her at all. You don't look like me at all ... But you smell so much sweeter ..." The way his face travels down your body holds nothing of the sensuality you have read about so often in books. If anything, he looks like you are a meal, and you definitely prefer to not be looked at, like you are a steak when the person looking at you is obviously starving.

Just as you open your mouth to tell the guy to either not eat you or to get the hell out -- preferably both --, you hear a car pull up outside. You quickly turn around, facing the entrance of the house, and throw the door of your room open. But when you turn back, he's gone.