Chapter 13

Chapter 13.

"Come on, come on, come on!" you mumble, forcing your legs to move faster. The nightly air bites at your skin, cold and frosty in the winter. You miss the sunshine of spring or summer, anything really, but not this cold of night.

The flashlight, having been found underneath the bed, in the room where Jack had deposited some of your clothes, definitely not enough though, pierces through the night. You hear rustling and wood creaking, but you've made sure that Jack is asleep in his room before you left. It is the fourth day at the cabin, and you have spent the last day relaxing and resting your ankle that still throbs slightly from time to time. Your feet drag over the ground, because the freaking anklets make running faster almost impossible, and your muscles are aching from the effort.

Finally, the light pierces through the thick, black foliage, illuminating the bay where you almost drowned.

"Ha, I'm awesome, I knew it!" you whisper, quickly, or, well, as quickly as possible, dashing towards the boat tied to a tree, partially hidden beneath the lush vegetation.

Another crack and rustling behind you makes you paranoid, flicking your eyes over your shoulder constantly, trying to catch anything in the complete darkness of the forest edge.

You pull yourself onto the boat, only to find, dismayed, that it is a motorized one. Worse, it’s a motorized one requiring a key. And even much worse, after a few minutes of searching, you know Jack hasn’t been stupid enough to leave the key on the boat.

As you set, trying to even pretend how to hotwire a bloody boat, a chuckle makes you squeal and fall back as your ankles basically refuse to move.

"Now now, don't go try something that will break the boat. We do need it for ... food." Jack comes out of the shadows, gracefully and deadly, stalking towards you like you're prey. You gulp, shrinking back into the chair of the boat, scared you have messed up beyond belief.

"You're so very, very, stubborn, [Name]." He sounds amused, instead of angry, which irks you. You're quite glad he doesn't sound angry, though.

"Yeah, well, maybe if you finally let me go back home!" you retort, crossing your arms in front of your chest, before uncrossing again as you notice that ... well, he's standing, you're sitting, and you both surely aren't on even footing. Ignoring the outstretched hand, you stand and, like an idiot, stumble as the anklets impede your movement. His hand quickly grabs you by the waist, holding you upright.

"You should be more careful, [Name]." he whispers, chuckling as he feels your shiver.

"And you should remove these bloody shackles and let me go home." you growl, shaking his hands off your skin, the warmth clinging to you like glue. You shiver again and you can hear his smirk through the mask.

"Maybe, one day, if you stop trying to run away. The waters here aren't very forgiving and it would be such a shame to lose you to them." Your eyes widen comically again and he laughs, his head thrown back in mirth. The skin of his throat seems oddly colored, but you can't really see it in the moonlight, and his laugh, although aimed at your demise, still makes your blood boil slightly. It's warm and rich and strong.