Time To Go To Work

A/N:  There are a few inconsistencies.  Details have changed.  I vaguely recall writing in earlier chapters that Courtney is the baby of her family.  In this chapter, I've written she has younger siblings.  This is because I'm making edits and changing characters and their backstories.  Hopefully, it isn't too out of context lol if you have any questions or things don't make sense, let me know and I'll do my best to reply and explain.  Otherwise, happy reading!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stared at the shirt.

At those two words that defined a huge part of my life. The company wasn't merely a big part of who I was; it was my parent's legacy to Riley and me. The same legacy that Tyson had just revealed to be his constant torment.

I... oh, my God. He hated me.

And if I happened to run into the bastard who actually owns it, I'd only need ten seconds to let him know what a piece of shit I think he is.

Ten seconds was all he'd need to tell me I was a horrible human being. Was that because he'd forego pleasantries altogether and just punch me? Or was it because you could literally call someone a piece of shit in two seconds, giving you another eight to add a few more choice adjectives just in case the point hadn't been driven home?

Numb with shock even as my heartbeat began to accelerate at an alarming rate, I traced the design stitched into the black polo. How had this happened? Why was this happening? I'd woken up this morning determined to tell Tyson who I was and all that it entailed. I'd finally decided to share all of myself with someone that wasn't Riley, Mel, or Courtney, and yet...

The more I thought about it, the more panic set in. I couldn't tell Tyson anything. My grand revelation would not be met with confusion, awe, and curiosity followed by calm acceptance as I'd hoped for. Hell, I'd be lucky if all he did was throw me out of his apartment the second the words passed my lips.

I was his boss!

Well, technically I was the boss of his boss several times over, and a bit of a silent one at that; Riley was officially at the helm as CEO. Just how high did the chain of command go before you reached the top? Not that I could use any of that as an excuse for the way Tyson was being treated at work.

Hey, sorry to hear your basic rights as an employee are being abused, but maybe you could cut a girl some slack seeing as I'm soooo far removed from the situation I had no idea it was happening right under my nose. No, I'm not blind, it just never occurred to me that my company would hire a racist prick.

Yeah, right. That conversation would go over splendidly.

"Noah?"

I startled, both at Tyson's voice and at his fingertips sliding across my cheek.

"You good? You kinda look like you've seen a ghost."

I blinked at him, trying to quell the panic tightening my chest. "Hmm? No, yeah, yes, I'm fine, perfect, everything's dandy, I was just –"

The sound of a phone ringing cut across me, and also gave me one hell of a fright. I yelped, and would have thrown myself completely off the bed if Tyson hadn't been caging me in with his arms braced either side of me.

Giving me a bemused look, Tyson sat back on his haunches and dug his phone out of his back pocket. His free hand landed on my thigh, and I zeroed in on the heat I could feel through the flimsy barrier of my tights. It was a welcome distraction, or it would have been if it hadn't also brought with it the realisation that I was lying on Tyson's bed, completely topless and with my pants pulled down just enough to expose the top curve of my butt.