#1 • I still don't know what to call this chapter

⚠️ 8 August 2021
1914 will get a reboot, meaning that this whole entrance to the book will be rewritten. So as I continue to update it, you may notice it's longer and will change from a third person view but instead First person (Posing as Wilbur). That's all :)

27/July/1914

Today was another day. Although Wilbur thought, anyway. Waking up to a currawong pecking on his window was normal for a daily routine now.

Wilbur rubbed his eyes open and saw just as what he had expected him to see: a small black and white currawong. Wilbur tapped the glass loudly, spooking the little feather all off.

"Silly bird." He thought to himself.

He didn't want to leave his bed, but he knew he had to. Otherwise it wouldn't be long before one of his family members, more specifically Teo, would come crashing in harrassing him to come out.

He leaned off his bed and found his balance standing on the bedroom floorboards. Collected his clothing, threw it on himself, snatched his jacket which was hanging off the wardrobe door and slipped it on.

He sped down the stairs to greet Dan, his older brother, at the dinning table.

"Rough sleep?" He asked.

"Not really. But that currawong can be thrown into a stew for all I care" Wilbur responded.

"Teh"

Mother [Hannah] walked out of the kitchen holding a large steaming pot. "Sorry boys, it's just porridge again for today. I'll have to do a grocery shop later today."

"That's alright, nothing bad about porridge, I guess."

Wilbur picked up his spoon and reached for a scoop. He hesitated while chewing - he realised something.

"It's quiet for this household...where's Teo?"

Then, at impeccable timing, a attemptingly dramatic speaky voice could be heard at the other end of the household.

"COOOoooooommmiNNNGGG"

Wilbur turned around to hear footsteps down the hall, soon followed by a fast-paced Teo sliding on the floor tiles.

"WeeeeeEEeeeeaa- wuhOh"

Teo's yelp of joy quickly faded into an "uh oh" as he collided with a filing cabinet at the end of the hall. But as soon as it occurred, he brushed himself off.

"Ahem- I'm here! Morning Wilbur, Dan!"

"Teo, what have I said about sliding along the floorboards?!" Wilbur asked him passive-aggressively.

"Uhmmmm......don't slide into things"

Wilbur sighed. "No Teo, don't slide on the floorboards or you will slide into things"

Dan, with a small mouthful, made a side note. "Don't forget the splinters"

"Oh yes, and those too." Wilbur glared at Teo to confirm he had heard him.

Hannah leaned over from the kitchen.

"Listen to your brothers, Teo."

But just as any child would do, he brushed it off. His unphased face sunk into a disappointed face when he saw his bowl.

"What? Porridge again?"

"Yes, I'm sorry Teo, but that's all I can make right now. I'm going to do a grocery shop later today."

Teo released a wild sigh and reluctantly picked up his spoon, but almost immediately fell into the 'no appetite' position and played with his utensil. He let out an annoyed groan.