16: Tormented

Art: Portrait by Alina Louka

Kida threw the doors of the Fire Lord's bedroom open. She went straight to the massive wardrobe.

"What are you doing?" Zuko demanded, right on her heels.

"I left my old bow and arrows in here," she told him.

"Why would you need those?"

"I'm still not great at waterbending for any length of time, and I'll need to save up energy for when I find them." She shoved some of Zuko's tunics aside. The movement caused a soft clatter that drew her eyes to her faithful bow and quiver.

She had received a new set as a gift from King Kuei when they had visited the Earth Kingdom. It was a fantastic weapon, but she often regretted taking it with her to the village instead of her own set.

Kida grabbed the worn wood and battered leather and started to stand straight again. However, her eyes caught sight of something she once thought she'd never see again. Shelooked up at the long, dusty red dress that paired with a white underdress anda soft blue and gold belt.

"You kept my clothes in here?" she questioned.

The swell of aggravation on Zuko's face momentarily subsided. "You were coming back."

She stood up, keeping her eyes on the block of wardrobe that she recognized as her own. "Right."

"You still are, right?"

She looked back at the man over her shoulder. "Do you still want me to?"

Zuko's mouth opened to respond instantly, but his voice didn't come out. He could feel his anger still smoldering in his chest, waiting for another log to be thrown on the pyre and bring it back to life. "Yes," he said, "of course, but you need to be honest with me."

"I am."

The log was thrown.

"I think that's the biggest lie you've ever told!" Zuko snapped.

She looked away. "I never lied to you. I just didn't tell you about it."

"That's your argument," he spat.

"It's the truth!"

"No, you had to be lying about something because you said you left because the people didn't want you here. Now I find out that they're listening to you over my orders. So which is it because it can't be both? Are you such an outsider that you had to leave, or do you have so much control here that you had to run away before I noticed?"

"You heard them! I wasn't here. I never gave them any orders. They're listening to your father, not me," Kida insisted.