8: Not Alone

Art: Zuko by Bryan Konietzko

After saving the forest from Azula's attacks, everyone piled onto Appa to make their way towards Hira'a. The next half of the journey didn't take nearly as long. Within a few hours, they were on the outskirts of the village looking for a place to hide Appa.

Both of the Fire Nation siblings had been oddly quiet during the remainder of the trip. It wasn't totally unusual for Zuko, but a silent Azula meant she was thinking—maybe a better word would be plotting—and that was never good.

Before going into town, everyone decided to change into something a little less conspicuous. Azula and Kida were the only ones who didn't have to worry about their wardrobe—even Zuko put on a hood to shield his distinguishing scar.

Kida mindlessly patted Appa's head as they waited for their companions. Her eyes lazily watched over the others until they landed on Azula. The princess stood with her arms folded, her gaze locked on Momo picking wild berries. She smacked her dry lips twice.

"Here." Azula caught the water pouch with one hand. She glanced at the giver only once before uncorking the drink to take a sip.

"I'm surprised she didn't accuse you of trying to poison her," Sokka grumbled as he buttoned his new top.

"She's not stupid enough to try something like that," Azula muttered. She put the cap back on the pouch before throwing it back to Kida.

The waterbender rolled her eyes. "You know, just saying thank you wouldn't kill you."

The princess shrugged. "I've never said it before, so maybe it will. Wouldn't want to chance it, would we?"

Kida quirked a brow. "I can think of ten people off the top of my head that would be okay with you testing it."

"I'm sure you're at the top of that list," she sighed.

Kida yearned longingly. "Always..."

"Alright, we're ready," Zuko announced, breaking the girls' taunts before they could get worse. "Let's go."

Azula sent Kida one last sharp glare, to which Kida simply rolled her eyes before the pair followed the rest.

Their disguises held up well enough. No one paid the foreign group much attention as they made their way to the center of town. However, as they got closer, they realized that the people might have just been too distracted by the town events to notice them.

"Hey, I thought Hira'a was supposed to be a small town," Katara spoke up. "Why is it so crowded?" It appeared that most of the village's occupants, and possibly some people from the town over, were gathered in front of a large pavilion.

"Looks like they're performing some kind of play," Aang pointed out as they joined the crowd.