Chapter 5- Survive Now, Die Later

•Khalil•

Thinking hard, Khalil sat beside Rose's unconscious body. She fell into shock and fainted after Bethany got killed right in front of her.

What was it even to think about at this time? How or why monsters are killing humans? Where did they even come from in the first place?

He couldn't even wrap his head around the fact that Bethany was dead. Gone. Deceased. They weren't best friends or any of that, but they were good classmates. And for three years straight, she sat in essentially every class he ever had.

Now, she was a minced pile of bloody flesh, organs and excavated bones. She was unrecognisable and certainly not something you'd want to see...anywhere.

It looked like at least thirty persons took refuge in the P.D. classroom where Khalil hid too. Many persons tried to escape and hide—who knows where—but died trying.

Mrs Jepson and Mr Willis were the only teachers in the class. The others...well, no one knew if they were dead or alive. Because of panic, a lot of persons lost their lives.

As for Rose's father, he desperately tried to make it back to his daughter with Khalil but was in vain. Khalil dreaded the moment he'd have to tell Rose that her father was killed by one of the creatures. But someone had to tell her though. He couldn't risk having her find out the bad news, knowing that he kept it from her.

Rose almost lost her life too, but Khalil was thinking contrarily. Felix did inform him that the wolf-like creature ignored her and charged right at him instead. It could only mean that the monster didn't notice her or Rose was repelling...somehow.

He was leaning more over to the second possibility. If she was screaming that loud for him and Felix to hear it through the other loud and dreadful cries, then the creature couldn't have not noticed her.

It wasn't a totally bad thing to know that the monster didn't shred her body like swiss cheese. But the bad thing was that no one knew why she was repellent against the creature. That's the scary part.

"Did she wake up?" Felix questioned. Before he looked as if all manner of disasters had avoided him, but now his face was pale with fear and his uniform was stained with monster saliva and grime.

Khalil cleared his throat and stood up. "Nope. She's out cold." His voice sounded way too calm to be in an apocalypse. It almost frightened him. Outside, gunshots fired constantly by Violet and her crew who so happened to want to help.

She left them with a little girl who also passed out. Khalil pencilled his thoughts mentally.

This can't be coincidental. Can it?

Both girls were unconscious, their pulse was quickening and slowing every few seconds and so far he knew only one of them seemed to repel the creatures.

"You know, it's weird how both of their unconscious states are behaving the same way," Felix walked closer to both girls inspecting them. He spun his attention back to Khalil. "What's the deal with that girl back there?"

The question surprised Khalil and spiked questions in his head as well.

If there's one thing he learnt throughout the disastrous day was that Felix was just as observant and curious as he was. At least he knew some persons had the brains to try outliving the current situation.