Chp. 4

"Mave, you said there are only two people? There is a lot in here." I heard Amelie whisper beside an amused Maverick.

"My sense never lies, maybe they're one of those people who disappear when noticed?" 

"Yes, just place it there," Samuel ordered the numerous maids in assisting the dining table.

"Okay, so I prepared all these special courses just for the three of you. I've been preparing for these so I know the taste won't betray you." He proudly said and sat at one of the chairs in a poised posture.

"Alright," I announced and clasped both my hands.

"Samuel, we don't have all the time. We went here for a reason until someone showed themselves and disappeared. That leads us to you. So tell me, do you know someone named Lucien Arsenault?" 

He didn't speak up at first so I had to use my ability but he still won't budge or even blink an eye.

"Sammy, brother, you good?" Maverick dumbfoundedly asked.

We watched as Samuel's eyes started to turn into a different color and they intensely gazed upon me. Something about that gaze made me gulp nervously and sit straight on my chair.

"Samuel, do you know someone named Lucien?" I asked for the last time.

That's when Samuel's eyes forcibly shut as he fainted in his seat. Amelie quickly walked beside him to check his pulse.

"He's good, just in...shock?" Amelie said while examining his pulse on the neck.

"The maids, we need to call them!" 

I stood up from the chair to get the attention of the maids but someone clapping slowly made me stop from moving. 

"Guys? Who the heck is clapping?" Maverick gulped.

"Poor Sam, lifeless just like one of them." 

The three of us went to the corner of the dining room and held each other's hands. The unknown person hasn't revealed themselves yet but from the energy I am getting, I am sure that it's more powerful than us, even way more powerful than my parents.

"Aww, you all look so tiny when scared. This will make my work easier." The voice started to get closer but it faded before we can even walk forward and charge upon them. 

The elegant dining room we are once in was changed into a traumatic scene. The walls started to fade in color and the plants got dry, the house is starting to look like it was rotting.

"Guys? Are you seeing this too?" Amelie whispered while holding Maverick's shaking hands.

Blood is everywhere, cobwebs surround the whole house, and the foul smell of rotten...things.

"Illusion...That's what you mentioned before. Does that have anything to do with all of these?" Maverick whispered.

I shrugged in response but what if all of these are connected? The way the woman stands so poised is very similar to the way Samuel sat earlier, it's like they're being controlled. The voice we heard earlier...could it be her?

"If this would be our last moment together, I want to let you know that I love all of you." Maverick scarily said.

The sound of footsteps made us hold each other's hands much tighter. The lights increased a bit and we can finally examine the whole house. 

"The Mansion of...Bardin?" Amelie curiously asked while roaming her eyes at the paintings.

"The French family." I trailed off, connecting the dots that are coming slowly together inside my head. 

"Aren't they the ones who got pissed because of our ancestors?" Maverick shivered.

"Argh, you learn like kindergartens." The voice started to echo again. "I'll just finish it right here, right now."

And with that, the lights were fully dimmed. The sun started to set faster and before we knew it, it was completely dark. I could feel the hands gripping mine getting tighter as it gets darker.

"Are you guys still there?" Amelie quietly asked.

"Yes." I and Maverick whispered in unison.

"Where did the voice-"

"MAVERICK!" 

I stood up ready to fight. Someone just pulled Maverick away from us. My heart was beating too fast that I almost didn't feel Amelie's grip on mine.

"Amelie I need you to" When I looked beside me, I was talking to no one in particular. They got Amelie too.

"Stop pulling my friends away from me! Face me right now!" I shouted with rage. I turned my head from time to time whenever I hear the same voice again coming from different directions. It was just me right now and I have to face whoever this is, one way or another.

"The precious daughter, they described you as this strong person but I don't think I can see that right now." The voice maniacally laughed. My parents, she's the one who took them...

"What have you done to them?!" 

"Oh, just the basics, nothing special. But since you and your company are already here, I can finally finish what I have started." The voice said in a bored tone.

"Are you Lucien?" 

This made the voice quiet. 

"ARE YOU LUCIEN?" I said louder this time, hoping to get a response. I proudly smiled when I finally hit a nerve on the enemy when I didn't get a response.

"Don't. Ever. Call me that." 

A woman inches taller than me with delicate features appears in front of me. I don't know why but I didn't punch her face just the way I planned it. Somehow, I only stared into her eyes in a state I shouldn't let myself be in. Her eyes are pulling me in...it's making me lose my MIND! She's attempting to make me one of her robots.

"Not today." I closed my eyes and blinked a few times before her spell can consume me.

"You're an illusion," I said with my head down to avoid her energy.

"Reminds you of someone?" She said in a familiar tone. 

"No, y-you're not here, she's dead." I deadpanned. I gathered the energy I can muster and dared to look back into her eyes. I can finally see my reflection in her eyes, but instead of my figure, it's a bright scorching green light.

"No! Don't pull me in!" The woman cried and begged. Her eyes started to tear down as they stay glued to mine. This is what you deserve, monster.

I can feel my body getting weak so I didn't waste my time and talked to her with authority in my voice. "Show me the real you." 

The woman laughed hysterically. I inhaled sharply and my eyes went back to their normal state. 

"As if your ability will affect me." Her laugh echoed in the empty and cold hall, making me shiver in my place.

When I looked back at the woman, her feature is not the same as the person I knew. It looked rather less evil, almost like showing her real figure.

"It just did," I whispered to myself.

"You're going to watch everyone you love suffer in pain!" She laughed again. 

Within a blink of an eye, I was pulled in like the rest of them. I watch as my surroundings change into a chilling one. I can't speak and my body felt numb.

This is not real.