Part 2

Note: A PDF download of the full story is available on my website at:

http://www.demonstead.com/stories-and-books/

13 Factions: Nathan Rainer and the Grease Monkey. Part 2

… February 23rd 3129 23:42 EST. High orbit above planet New Haven.

Rainer's primary objective was to protect a satellite from debris while it acclimated to its new orbit. A job that was long, boring, and didn't pay that well, but it needed to be done and Rainer needed a break from the usual noise of the SS Venia.

A message flashed across the screen letting him know that the satellite had finished acclimating and that he could leave. Rainer yawned and stretched.

"Demon wake up."

The Scro-fox perked up and tried to run over to Rainer with no luck. Rainer laughed at the floating fuzzball and drifted his way to the control panel. He flipped the switch to activate the grav-plating and slowly fell to the floor. Demon joined him in the cockpit.

"Well let's head planet-side and see the sights, shall we?"

Demon chirped.

"Yeah, yeah I know we’re supposed to recruit grease monkeys. Doesn't mean we can't enjoy ourselves at the same time."

Rainer brought the ship around to face the planet. "Sure is pretty from up here."

Demon cooed in agreement.

A loud bang erupted from the engine compartment in the rear of the ship.

"Aw shit, what the hell was that?"

Rainer pulled the ship up so the belly faced the planet. He flipped the autopilot switch to the on position and got out of his seat.

"Computer, keep us in low orbit."

Entering the rear of the small ship, he noticed the engine compartment smoking a bit.

"Low orbit unattainable." The computer said.

"What do you mean, orbit unattainable?"

Rainer looked back at the cockpit. It took a moment to register what the rapidly increasing numbers meant.

The Lilith wasn't moving forward. It was moving down.

"Oh crap!" Rainer yelled jumping back into the pilot's seat. He tried to pull as much juice as possible from the gravity drive, but all he got was a grinding noise from the smoking compartment behind him. Rainer looked at Demon.

"Hold on to your ass Demon, were heading planet side the quick way.”