Chapter 3

September 1st, 1992

Rory sat at the end of the twin bed, brows furrowed, new wand pointed fervently at her feet. Teenie had taught her a spell to tie her shoes. Rory's laces twitched about, but were no were close to a knot. Newt picked his eyes up from the paper to survey the situation.

Newt crossed the room and kneeled before the young girl. He gently pulled one of Rory's feet to the side, and whispered, "it's a bit more like this love."

He gently flicked his wand in a small figure eight, "nodius" rolled off his tongue and the white trainer was adorned in a perfect bow. Newt gave the girl a nod "deep breath, remember, magic is fun" and they smiled together.

Rory closed her eyes, and took a deep breath- in through the nose, out through the mouth. Magic is fun.

"Nodius" she whispered and flicked her wand in two tiny loops. The laces landed in a bit more of a flop than Uncle Newt's did, but nonetheless, she did it. Rory beamed down at her guardian, who then stood up and planted a swift kiss on her forehead.

"Nice work honey," Tina said admiring her little family. "Are you about ready now? It's nearly time to apparate to the station" she added, reaching for her cloak.

Rory nodded and began to check her trunk one last time. She was currently in her muggle clothes: a pair of baggy black jeans, a white tee shirt, and a short sleeve denim button down open over it. She had her hair pushed back in a bandana, she knew there would be a lot of emotions today- might as well cover it some.

 In her trunk were her books (already dog eared from her initial flip troughs), her assorted school clothes, as well as stationary. Underneath a cozy-looking grey turtle neck, Rory took a final glance at her walkman, photo album, and polaroid camera. At the last moment, she grabbed the camera and stashed it in her canvas tote bag. She wanted a picture of the train and didn't want to have to dig around for it.

With one last glance in the mirror, Rory joined hands with her guardians, and with a crack they left the leaky cauldron.

...

Kings Cross was packed with muggles in suits and tourists in caps that bustled around in every direction, making Rory feel quite small. Newt tugged gently at her hand, "this way my dears," and he lead his little family in the direction of the platform.

There, standing between the pillars for platforms 9 and 10 stood the rest of their family, Annie fussing with Rolf's hair.

"Mum will you please stop it," Rolf pleaded, dodging his mothers picking fingers. "I told you its supposed to look like that, it's how the muggles do it".

"Oh I've seen the muggle magazines, pickle, but what I don't understand is you're going to a wizarding school-"

"Don't call me pickle! I'm not a baby anymore! I'm eleven now!"

Griffin and Annie both chuckled at this, but gave their son the space he requested. Rory took the opportunity, let go of Uncle Newt's hand, and dashed over to the boy, bumping hips with him.

"Oh don't worry Rolf, I'll only tell my roommates your petname. Teenage girls are sooooo good at keeping secrets" Rory snorted and Rolf's scrunched face shone scarlet. The two began swatting at eachother until they were in a fit of hysteria, wrapped in each others arms. Standing there with her best friend, the closest thing she could imagine to a brother, she wasn't so nervous anymore.

Rory had never been very good at making friends. It wasn't that she was unlikeable or shy, she was just a bit... awkward at first. Her nerves and excitement bubbled inside of her like a murky potion being brewed over a too large flame. It was hard to contain herself, yet another reason why you could read her emotions like a book.