The Search

!!When thinking of the house Emma is staying in with the demons, I thought a little of this house from Lord of the rings or Razz's house from She-ra. Or you may imagine it however you want!!

--

It's been a day since we left to find Emma. We split into groups, one heading north, one heading north-east, and another heading north-west. Norman believed if our group headed north-east we would find her quicker. It was 'Just a hunch but I'll listen to him I suppose. 

It was cold and snowy, all I can do is pray she's not caught up in this. In about 4 hours the ground was coated with about half a foot of snow. Any footprints we thought we were following weren't all that visible any longer. We don't know how long we'll be out here, all three groups can only wish we find her within a week. (Alive, of course) Norman ensures me she won't be dead when I have second thoughts. I believe him wholeheartedly, it's Emma after all she won't die so easily. Even if she is on her own.

--

"I'm going to name you Mercy!"

"My name is Emma,"

"Well I picked you out, so your new name is Mercy,"

This boy-demon seems to think I'm his pet. And his parents let him. Maybe if he gets attached to me he won't want to eat me. 

-Earlier that night-

Dinner was hell. A almost passed out, twice. They didn't feed me and only gave me cold water from a river. I'm fine with not eating though, I'd probably not be able to keep it down. The only hard part of dinner was the fact I knew they were eating human meat. It was cut up mostly, so I could pretend it was steak in the very least. The weird part is, apparently the dad insists on eating just the eyes and tongue. 

"You kind of smell like old pork," the boy pointed out to me.

"Don't be rude at the dinner table, Lethabo!" his father scolded him.

So that was his name. It's supposed to mean happiness and rejoice, but he's quite the opposite. Like an apple you think will but sweet until you bite into it only for it to be mushy and gross. Sometimes even sour. 

His father was scary to look at, sorry but he is. If human and pork taste so similar that must explain his pig nose and mouth. It's as if you put a pig head on a human's body with 6 fingers instead of 5. 

His mother looked very pretty though, with plump lips and a perfect concave nose. She had slightly curly dreads with silver cuff-like beads around a few of them. 

--

My name is Mercy now (according to Lethabo). It's not that bad of a name, I have a hard time responding to it is all. 

Lord, I wonder what's going back at the tree hideout. Have they begun to search for me? Will they be able to find me?

I've decided the very moment I feel better I'm leaving this place. But I can't find a compass or a map. I have no idea where I am or where to go. 

I miss everyone. If Norman were to find me, would he catch my sickness? Yeah, probably. Ray's probably so hurt right now. I promised him I would never die, as he promised me the same, along with Norman. If I were to break that promise I'd never forgive myself. Though, would I be able to? If I die, will I be a ghost? Will I ascend to heaven? Will I reincarnate into a wild animal? Or will I simply stop existing? Truth is, no one truly knows until it happens. Maybe you believe one thing, but what if the exact opposite happens? 

"It's time for bed, little boy," his mother spoke softly. 

She sounded so sweet and loving. Lethabo should be happy to have her. He may be a brat but he should at least be appreciative of what he has. 

"I don't want to! I wanted to play with Mercy," he whined.

"It's Mercy's bedtime as well. You can play with her all you want tomorrow!"

"But mooooom!" 

"None of that. Bed. Now." she pointed to the room I first stayed in. If that was his, where would I sleep? 

He drooped his head and slowly walked in, pushing the beads aside. 

"Now for you, follow me," 

The demon-woman had a mask over her eyes, but I could tell she was making eye contact with me. 

"Okay," I stood up. It hurt to walk. My heart started racing as I followed her. I wanted to sit or lay down again but I have to follow her. I thought maybe there was a third bedroom, a guest bedroom. But no, she led me outside into the harsh cold weather again. I want to shut down, this sucks. She gave me soft shoes, although they're slippers basically, I had to walk out in them. 

The place I was headed wasn't far. A new wooden door on the side of their cave house. She opened the small door and lead me inside. It was cold and dark. The woman took a match,  lit it, and proceeded into the room lighting all the candles. It didn't help the cold in there yet. 

The interior was a barn, with haystacks and a horse pen without a horse. 

"You sleep here," She handed me the same blanket I laid on in the forest.

"I washed this for you, it should be dry now. So try to get some sleep. I'll wake you up in the morning," 

"Thank you, ma'am," 

But she ignored me and shut the door, leaving me here. There's no bed. Only hay and a hardwood floor. I might collapse right here and now, maybe I can muster up the strength to make a bed out of the hay. My legs felt shaky, and my muscles were burning. No. I don't have the strength to do that. I moved to a corner in the room and finally sat down. A few small piles of hay cushioned me beneath, but not enough. It was scratchy, I'm so tired. This is the most uncomfortable place to sleep but I'm the pet to those demons so this is where I stay. 

Tears form in my eyes. 

Why didn't I just mind my business? I could be in a soft warm bed with Norman and Ray right now, maybe even playing board games. I miss them. This isn't fair. Why am I here? 

--

We found a nearby cave. Ray and I started a fire and cuddled up to stay warm.  Our horses fell asleep a few feet away from us, but close enough to the fire.

Thankfully just before I left, I took the antidote. Normally around this time, I'd have a seizure and cough in endless pain. Instead, I only coughed a few times and had a small fever. Ray made me soup with a chicken broth, it was honestly the best soup I've ever tasted. Emma and I are so lucky to have such a talented chef around. 

"What if she's been eaten? What if we find her but we're too late?" 

"Ray, you really should cut it out with this negative attitude. This is Emma we're talking about. You told me what that horrendous demon Leuvis did to her right? If she could survive that she'll survive this with ease."

"We don't even know the situation she's in,"

"I'm trying to stay optimistic about this. I know she would do the same if it were us who disappeared. Maybe deep down I feel the same way you do. However, we shouldn't jump to conclusions on this."

He hugged me tighter.

"Yeah,"