Chapter 10

Fern's eyes narrowed against the glare of the illuminated ice. Her hackles started to raise in fear.

"Wh-who are you?" She called hoarsely.

"Lay down and press your nose to the ice." The mystical voices inside her head instructed.

Fern's tails twitched anxiously as she crouched down against the wall of ice. Timidly she moved her head forward, closed her eyes and pressed her nose against the ice.

Great StarClan it was cold! For a moment the ice seemed to consume Fern. It was all around her, filling her with a strong power.

Her eyes snapped open and as was standing in an unfamiliar glade, surrounded by cats with starlight in their fur.

"Yellowfang!" Fern gasped when she spotted the elderly grey she-cat. "Yellowfang, what is going on?"

Yellowfang averted her orange gaze. A blue-grey she-cat strode forwards and touched noses with Fern. Her fur seemed to prickle authority and her captivating blue eyes were shining with wisdom.

"Greetings Fernshade." She meowed. "I am Bluestar, a fallen leader of ThunderClan. I believe congratulations is in order. You have succeeded in finding the Moon-ice."

"The Moon-ice..." Fern echoed.

"Yes, a place where the living can come to speak freely with their ancestors."

"So, this is where medicine cats can consult StarClan? Is this where Mist will receive her nine lives?"

Bluestar nodded. "Yes, Fernshade. This is the place."

"Why do you keep calling me that?" Fern asked. "My name is Fern. Just Fern."

Bluestar's tail twitched. It must have been a signal because a smudgy grey she-cat hobbled up. Fern's eyes widened when she saw the newcomers twisted back leg.

"I am Cinderpelt." The grey cat stated. "Fern, is it your wish to enter the mysteries of StarClan and guide your Clan through your ancestors will?"

Fern realised this was it. This was the ceremony that could mean the difference between being a medicine cat and being just a cat. Her gaze slid past Cinderpelt and landed on Yellowfang. The scruffy grey she-cat was watching her intently. Her head was shaking back and fourth and her gaze was pleading.

No Fern, don't! She seemed to be saying.

"It is." Fern meowed to Cinderpelt.

"Then with the will of StarClan, I name you Fernshade, medicine cat of MistClan."

"Fernshade! Fernshade!" The assembled cats chanted.

Fernshade felt warmth was enter her body as the StarClan cats walked up to her and congratulated her on being the very first official medicine cat of the new Clans.

"You shouldn't have done that." Yellowfang warned as the others started to disappear.

"Why not?" Fernshade asked, annoyance creeping into her mew.

"A great tragedy is falling upon you. Tell me Fern, do you remember the prophecy I gave you?"

Fernshade thought for a moment then recited:

""The stripes on the fern shall appear and fade leaving grief to those who witness,

Love can be kindled from the smallest of sparks ending the battles of the mighty blizzard and storm,

The harshness of the terrain will never soften and if anything will grow deadlier then ever,

Only the smoke can submerge the land bring peace to cats of the terrain."

"That's right," Yellowfang rasped. "Fernshade, you just sealed fate. You could have saved much grief by not being a medicine cat."

"But that's mouse-brained!" Fernshade spat. "It is my destiny!"

"I know." Yellowfang seemed to wilt with sadness. "You're right. Before dawn comes, you will realise just how tangled your destiny is."

Fernshade opened her mouth to ask what she meant but the dream faded and she woke up with a start beside the Moon-ice.

This is it! She realised. I'm a medicine cat!

She stood up stiffly and padded out of the icy cave and into a world of swirling snow.