Chapter 2

---------------

He was hungry so he hadn't been able to stay in his hide a way for the rest of the day. He was prepared to stay for a long time but being an impatient child, he cut that time much shorter about a month and a half. Dressing up to look like a civilian, he heads out with his wallet in his breast-pocket. Paris was a bright and relatively safe city but that didn't mean there wasn't any crime.

He walked down the sidewalk as a few civilians walked the other way. He observed places that may be what he's been looking for. One establishment seemed to be a small restaurant. A local restaurant seems to be a good idea and he has more than enough money on him, after all how could he finish the mission if he didn't have any cash on him?

Entering the building, he sits in the most optimal spot in case he is recognized or an attack of any sort happens as well as observing the people surrounding him.

In the table next to him is the family he previously saw, the girl wearing a dress now and there is a woman, assuming to the mother, with them.

"Mamon, bathroom!"

The woman chuckled and got up with the girl trailing behind.

He glanced at them as they past, the mother glancing back and he quickly looked the other direction. He made himself look relaxed even if that's not true. His arm resting other table and his chin resting on the back of his hand. He slowly filters his eyes a round and zero in on the waiter walking to his table.

"Hello, my name is-"

He doesn't bother listening to the introduction and grunts; taking the menu and looking it over.

"I want the Pork Panini Melt with extra mayonnaise and mustard. I will drink only bottled water.", he says.

"Alright, it will be here is about fifteen minutes."

He nods and continues as before with nothing to do, but then he hears a chair pull out and sees the little girl try to get in the chair at his table.

"What are you doing?", he speaks roughly but gets up to help her.

Her mother is watching them and he denies being frighten of her judgement. So he lifts her up and places her on the chair before pushing it in.

"I wanna play with you!", she smiles brightly with chubby red cheeks.

He sits back in his own chair and maintains his neutral expression, careful not to look unpleasant or bothered. Civilian children are spoiled and loud, he must keep attention a way from himself.

"How would we 'play'? I did not bring anything that would be entertaining and you did not seem to either."

"By talk, silly! I'm Marinette Dupan ching! Du...du....dupin....???", Marinette gets flustered and confused.

Marinette may not be able to say her name properly being that she is five, but he is seven and far better at conversing even if he doesn't do so often.

"I am....Damian...tell me, Marinette, what made you want to sit here?"

Damian may not want to have anything to do with the weak and soft looking creature in front of him, but he must keep up the civilian act especially with Marinette's parents watching- stars in their eyes and her Dad recording.

He must get that video later.

"Cuz sitting over here is alone! I want friends!" (You were sitting by yourself and looked lonely. I want to be friends with you.)

"I do not

"I do not....", he pauses to think of how to reject her without making her cry and have her parents ire directed at him.

"Here's your order!", the waiter comes back with his and her food.

Damian assumes that her parents told the waiter that she'd be sitting with him. He wants to curse. Her naive (innocent) stare burns his tongue keeping him from doing so out loud. He's really starting to hate month long missions that require acting like a civilian or even being in public during the day.

He is surprised at how quiet and well behaved Marinette is while eating. Her parents must being excellent at teaching her more than he thought. During the meal, she didn't make a mess like some of the other children seem to be doing in the restaurant and using her manners like her parents taught her. After they finish and place the plates in a stack in the middle, they start talking again.

"Marinette, your company is adequate."

"What's that?"

"Good, it means you are....good. Some what."

"Yes, I am a good girl! Pat me."

"...What is a 'pat' ?"

"Oh! You go like this."

She jumps up in her chair and he tenses a bit, trying to control himself. She leans over the table to gently pat his hair. After tapping his head three times, she sits down and stares at him, waiting. Collecting himself, he copies her action with reluctance. Being much more gentle than her, he pats her head two times. After the second time, she takes his hand keeps it on her head and smiles happily at him. He feels incredibly awkward. He does not attempt to smile, knowing it would be a horrible disaster. Finally she lets him go and he sits down in a more comfortable position.

"I like you, Domino....Dami-"

"Stop, just....you can just say Dami. I will let pass for now since you do not how to eloquent at the moment. However, that changes the minute you speak my name correctly."

"Okay, Dami."

--------------

BYE~~