Gerudo Village

Rebecca's mattress was like a cloud.

She floated on air while resting on it. Her chains were still heavy and reminded her that she was the Gerudos' prisoner, but it was nice for her to be in a bed again.

For the first time since Rebecca came to the desert, there was a part of her life which felt normal. It felt good.

She hoped everything would be well in the end.

For some strange reason, Rebecca thought of Nabooru. She couldn't explain why. Rebecca sensed the thief from a distance away, walking somewhere beyond the fortress' walls.

She sensed snippets of frustration, followed by mild worries which were then overwhelmed by joy. All these sensations, all at once, overwhelmed Rebecca.

Before she even opened her eyes, Rebecca sensed Nabooru outside the door of her cell, speaking in the local language to the two guards posted at it.

A moment later, Nabooru knelt at Rebecca's bedside. The thief gently nudged Rebecca's back with her hand.

"Kid," she said. "Get up. Now, please."

"Let me sleep a little longer," Rebecca groaned. "It's not like I'm going anywhere. I'm still a prisoner."

"Kid..." Nabooru's touch persisted. "You have to get up. It's important that you do."

"I don't want to..."

"The sisters will have a fit."

"They can make me get up..."

"I'm the one they sent to do that. You are far too rebellious. Please, rise. Don't you want to know our decision?"

Rebecca's eyes snapped open. She slowly rose from her mattress, keeping her eyes low as she sat up.

"Oh," Rebecca replied. "How do you...decide on things?"

"We vote," said Nabooru. "Two sides give a case and then the council makes a decision. We made it this morning, right after the dawn."

"What did you choose?" Rebecca asked.

"It was almost unanimous," said Nabooru, who looked away from Rebecca. "Only one person kept everyone from being in agreement. Why, I don't know. I may never find out."

"So...?" Rebecca's eyes stung from her tears. Her lips trembled and she couldn't tell how Nabooru was feeling by just looking at her. The thief's face blurred in the space of Rebecca's worried vision.

"Child..." Nabooru placed a hand on top of Rebecca's. "You have to be bold, alright? In everything you do, there can be no fear, even during these times. Every trial. Every tribulation. If you let fear take you over, it will rule you. I want courage to course through your veins. Can you do that?"

Nabooru's tone changed. Once, she had a harshness laced in her voice, one so strong that it often caused a rise in Rebecca.

This time around, the voice was gentle. Rebecca felt this as well; a calm nature in Nabooru's very core.

She wasn't able to understand where this feeling came from either, but Rebecca knew something was there. She knew that as long as Nabooru spoke to her in this cell, it would be as a friend who was always on Rebecca's side.

"I can do that," Rebecca answered.

Nabooru smiled and patted the back of her hand. "Good...good. It's good that you're understanding this. If you didn't, I wouldn't feel too good about having convinced the council to spare you. They don't want timid girls living amongst them, you know."