The Reunion | 3

❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉

𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚁𝚎𝚞𝚗𝚒𝚘𝚗 - (3)

[ Final ]

Gauri looked at him in the eye. He held her hand and moved to the narrow passageway between the rows of racks and the wall.

"The desk that used to be here is gone," He said softly.

Gauri smiled despite the heaviness of her heart. One isolated desk with two chairs used to be placed in the passageway, it was where they used to sit and discuss their project. Mainly because Omkara didn't want to be spotted in the reading area in the library by his friends, which would somehow make him not cool and party because the strict librarian didn't like discussions going on in the reading area.

He sat on the floor against the wall, where the desk used to be. Gauri looked at him and then at the floor. "Seriously? It's dirty!"

He held her hand, stretched his legs. "Sit on my lap?" Gauri couldn't clearly see his face in the darkness but she was sure he was smirking. She sat beside him, without another complaint.

"I saw you talking to your group of friends."

"Please, don't remind me."

"Did you meet Tanya, by the way?" He asked, pulling her hand into his and letting their interleaved hands rest on his lap.

Gauri rested her head against his shoulder. "No," she said softly. The night had been quite an eventful one, and it wasn't even over yet. It was strange how most days were boring and monotonous while suddenly one day would come with all the surprises.

"I was too late I guess..." She added thoughtfully.

Confusion twisted Omkara's eyebrows. He shifted his head slightly, "what do you mean?"

"I met Fatima Ma'am. She said Tanya passed away four years ago."

"What! That's —" He ran out of the right words.

"Tragic!" Gauri completed, wrapping her arm around his. She felt terrible after hearing that piece of news.

"I used to really like her. She was different! Never got the chance to say that to her."

Omkara gave a gentle squeeze to her hand, angling his head to kiss her hair.

"It's strange how we... regret after having so many chances. I should have kept in touch with her. She was the only person in my class who was genuinely nice to me."

"Gauri, you're overthinking," Omkara said softly, caressing her arm. Her words sending his own thoughts into a spiral.

"It's contagious maybe — overthinking. I think I got it from you!"

Omkara smiled little.

"This place is my favorite place in school." Omkara said looking at the window from where few stray rays of light filtered in.

"Liar. Field and canteen?"

"Not lying. This was the place I actually started loving, after I met you. I learned that I could be in silence, I could be alone and not be irritated or annoyed with that."

"This was my favorite place in school too."

"Because you spent most time with me here?" He teased.

Gauri chuckled and he joined soon after.

"Marry me, Om, please."

A pin drop silence fell as his chuckle faded and her words rang in his ears.