three

Hold On To Me ~ Lauren Daigle (*)

** when you see this symbol: (*) that's where the song attached above will start. If I want to end it in a certain place before the song itself is actually over, I'll put this symbol:
)*( 

+++
Ezra ~
Present Day ~ January ~ 3 Years Later

"So instead of the band closing, something will play over the speakers after I'm done?" I ask James, who's currently standing next to me backstage of the church fifteen minutes before my sermon starts.

"Yes ma'am. We're doing things a little different today. If it goes well we will most likely resort to that. It's easier on everyone I think. Do you agree?" He asks with that constant chipper tone of his.

It always relaxes me for some reason, I've never been able to put my mind on why though. That is often the effect James Gates tends to have on you though. Most of the time he's leaving me speechless even after a normal conversation. But then again, no conversation is normal with him.

"I agree if you agree." My usual answer comes out which always ends with what James is about to say next.

"You forget your place here Ezra, your say is equally as important as mine." He points a finger in my face and I shake my head with a smile.

"I know I know, you always say that. But truly I do agree with you." I admit honestly.

He gives me a suspicious look but nods anyway. "Alright, service begins in ten. I'll be in my usual spot. And remember, preach from the heart and nothing else."

My smile grows bigger and fonder at those same words he's used since I started here. They always work though, so I definitely could never complain. Everything he's told me since the day we met has stuck, and I respect absolutely everything about that mans existence.

I check my watch seeing that I have about six minutes until I start and I already heard the band start playing about ten minutes ago. So I grab my Bible, my fathers old one that he gave to James who then gave it to me, and my notebook before I walk over to stand at a side entrance to the stage.

I check with the tech crew to make sure my mic and earpiece are working, and then I sing along to the last song the band is playing this morning.

I can't help but peak around the corner to look at this mornings crowd, and like usual I get chills listening to them worship the way they do. Even when it's not a packed house, they always sound wonderful.

My eyes land on my best friends, who are also spouses, Chris and Taylon Rodriguez who I met back in college. They're sat in the second row on the right side of the room where they always sit.

Although I don't recognize the man sitting to Chris' right whose features I can hardly make out because of the dark lighting. I've never seen him before so I'm sure he's a new guest. I'll have to introduce myself after the service.

Just then the bands playing slows down and that means it's my cue. I walk out and towards the podium as the lead worship pastor, Randy, is the only one left playing a soft melody on his guitar.

"Good morning Reign Christian Church!" I say in my cheery preacher voice.

My words are reciprocated back by the crowd in unison, and it brings a smile to my face like usual.

"Members of Reign know the drill, but guests who are new this morning should know that we begin with communion which is being passed around as I speak." I inform the crowd in front of me.

I wait a moment for most everyone to have their juice and bread.

"Once you get your communion, if you would please listen as I read these scriptures aloud from First Corinthians Chapter Eleven." I say while opening one of my tabs to go to the communion verse I highlighted for this morning.