14

"Schezwann Fried Rice!" Sabari stressed for the 3rd time, ensuring the word was heard and understood correctly.

The old kitchen maid walking out with Sabari dropped her satchel in shock. With her hands held to her chest, she slowly teared up. Before Sabari could say another word, the old woman raised her hands and voice and cried out loud, "Seshachalam!!!" She dropped onto her knees and began wailing in a sing-song pattern, "You were such a young man, Seshachalam! Seshachalam! What will happen to your wife and kids, Seshachalam! Sheshachalam! What will happen to us, Seshachalam! Seshachalam! You did not even return my gold, Seshchalam! Seshachalam! What will happen to me, Seshachalam! Seshachalam!" She then looked at Sabari and yanked her hand. "My husband told me not to trust that fellow! But did I listen to him? NO!!" She sobbed in an exaggerated sweep of her hands. "I told my husband that my nephew was not like his brother. I did not listen to him!! And now.." she continued after wiping her nose with the loose end of her vastram, "and now that cursed fellow died!" she wailed again. "How will I get back my gold Sabari Sabari?! That guy has ruined me, Sabari Sabari!"

"Who is Sesh..." Sabari asked, frowning at the woman's sudden and completely unwarranted outburst.

"What is all this noise? Mandari! are you planning to wake up the dead?!" The chief royal cook, Nala Bheema, walked up to the scene of despair. He frowned upon the lady, who quieted only for a second before picking up the pace. "Ayya!! My nephew has died ayya!! He took away from my gold Ayya!! What will ha...!!"

"Quite Mandari!!" the cook admonished. Unlike the mythological character that he was named after, Nala Bheema was a stout man, about the same height at Sabari, with as much authority as his position demanded. "Do you plan to spend the night in jail? One more sound, and I am sure the king will send the guards to see who is disturbing his evening stroll!" he warned. Mandari stopped her wailing at the thought of having to spend the night in shackles but continued to sob loudly. She opened her mouth to say something, but Nala Bheema stalled her. "Who gave you this news at this hour?" he questioned.

Mandari pointed at Sabari. "Me?!" stunned at the accusation, Sabari turned to Nala Bheema. "I don't even know who Seshachalam is!! Let alone tell her that he died! I told her no such thing!" Sabari emphasized.

Mandari stood up quickly, wiping her nose. "You did tell me!" she rebuked and looked at Nala Bheema to make her point " She...she told me that Seshachalam passed away!"

"When did I tell you that?!"

"Just now!"

Sabari smacked her head. It suddenly dawned on her, "I told Schezwann Fried Rice!"

Mandari and Nala Bheema cocked their heads to the side. "What?" They asked in unison.

"SCHEZWANN. FRIED. RICE!" Sabari emphasized each word.

"What do you mean?" Mandari asked.

"It is a Chinese dish. I mean, it is a type of rice made in China." Looking at the clueless expressions of the two people, Sabari tried to explain, "China is a big country on the east side of where we are. We might have to cross the sea to go to that country."

"Who is the king?" Nala Bheema asked, suspicious of what Sabari told.

Sabari scratched her head. "I am not sure. I don't know who the king is in this era. Not that I know which year it is." She wondered. "I don't know if you people have seen Chinese people. They look like this," she said, stretching out the corners of her eyes. "Did you?"

Nala Bheema frowned and looked over Sabari's shoulder. "Do you know what this woman is talking about?" He asked.

"No," Partha spoke from behind Sabari, who jumped at the sound.