009

The drive was a few miles down a back road along the side of a river.

The vehicle was mostly silent; Ember was driving, and the air was thick with their attitude and Kaleo's dismay over leaving his crying toddler.

Alethea sat by the window, her mind racing. Who could she possibly know who was a Pyro? She couldn't imagine any colleges, old teachers, anyone from her life defecting. Maybe there had been a mistake? Maybe it was just an acquaintance from a long time ago.

"Where are we going?" Alex asked.

"The General wants to see you ladies," Kaleo replied.

Thea blinked, startled.

"General? I wasn't aware you Pyros had such structure."

Ember sneered audibly.

Ezi jetted forward and smacked them upside the head.

"Dejarlo!"

Ember grumbled curses under their breath. 

Ezi turned in her seat, leaning over Alex to explain.

"In regards to your inquiry, there are several ranks within our forces. General is the highest, but all the high-ranks create a council."

Alethea arched a brow.

"And I'm supposed to know this person?"

"Wait what?" Alex exclaimed, nearly smacking Thea in the face out of surprise.

Thea grasped her sister's hand and placed it gently on the seat.

Ezi sighed and beat her head on the drivers' seat in front of her muttering something in her language.

Hitoshi chuckled from the back where he sat among the secured crates and emergency supply packs.

The road came to a dead-end at a sheer cliff and they came to a stop.

Alethea scanned the landscape finding nothing but hills and the river. But then, the cliff wall started to move to reveal a once hidden door and an amber-lit tunnel.

"Whoa..." Alex muttered.

Thea leaned forward to assess the tech of the door as they passed through.

The tunnel sloped downward until it opened into a vast cave and they parked on a wide ledge among other vehicles and clambered out to find a team of Pyros was awaiting them.

"Master Atlas," a woman greeted.

She immediately felt small, and a little childish in this stranger's presence; the officer was tall with squared shoulders and a jawline, and she wore the black combat uniform like she was born for it.

"That's me!" Alex greeted reaching out her hand.

The officer smirked and shook Alex's hand but addressed Alethea.

"The general has requested to meet with you privately."

Alex's posture sank.

"Wait... I thought...."

"She will see you soon," the officer assured. "I will come for you. In the meanwhile, I'm sure Esmeralda will show you to the dining hall. Are you hungry?"

Alex shrugged and sauntered off to Ezi who wrapped an arm around her shoulders to lead her away.

Thea hesitated before following. Should she go alone? What if....

"Master Atlas...."

Curiosity bested her and she followed the officer and her company down a ledge path that zig zagged to the bottom of the vast cave. Her eyes wandered on the vastness of the underground world. It seemed to be an old mining shaft that had been expanded and developed. Pillars of stone stabilized the ceiling which appeared to be a hollow hill above. Unwittingly, she slowed as she stared upward, and one of the Pyros clipped her heel.