0024

They gathered at the base of the rock to reorganize.

"I'll turn in with Hana," Kaleo said, sauntering down the last few steps.

"No more kids, Kaleo. The world's ending," Ember teased.

Kaleo's cheeks flushed and he pretended to ignore her.

Ember chuckled.

"I'm gonna find Aaron and relieve him of childcare duties; I'm sure he's itching to dance with a certain bouncy-haired girl."

Thea smirked.

"You better watch your brother."

Ember scoffed.

"It's not my brother I'm worried about. Have you seen the glint in your sister's eye?"

Thea pursed her lip. Fair enough.

"Whatever. You two are lame," Ezi said. "I'm not going to bed till the sun's up."

Hitoshi rolled his eyes.

"She'll fade out in two hours tops."

Kaleo glanced up the stairs and rocked on his heels.

"I suppose we can discuss how that went later?" he asked.

Ezi reached up to grasp his shoulder.

"Don't lose any sleep, big guy. It'll work out."

Alethea smirked at the contrast of their expressions. Maybe it was the wine, but Ezi was smiling as if there wasn't a care in the world and Kaleo was looking at her like she'd lost her mind.

"Well, night," Ember said, turning on their heels.

Kaleo bowed his head then took off towards the cabin.

Thea watched Ezi watch them leave, mesmerized by the smile on her face and the light in her eyes.

"It's the wine," Oshi explained. "She'll be complaining about a headache in an hour."

Thea chuckled.

"Light-weight."

Ezi smacked her arm lightly, then took it in her own and started to head towards the platform on the lake.

The platform churned with dancing patterns and people on the outskirts clapping along with the guitarist whose fingers strummed and picked the strings with fingers as nimble and quick as hummingbird wings. The song came to an abrupt close and people stopped and dipped.

"You'd think we were in Angelas," Oshi said with a chuckle.

Ezi cast him a mischievous glance.

"Hitoshi, play for me."

"Oh no... this isn't a campfire in the desert, Ez. I'm..."

Ezi turned to Thea, ignoring her brother's dissent.

"Pa taught him; he's absolutely brilliant on a guitar."

Thea cast Hitoshi a fond glance.

"I'm sure he is but it doesn't seem he wants to play."

"Nonsense! He's just shy!"

Ezi grabbed her brother by the wrist and ran to the guitarist flagging him down.

Thea glanced around awkwardly at the crowd whose eyes were drawn to her like metal to a magnetic and decided it was best to follow her friends.

"Excuse me, Sir! Would you lend my brother your guitar for a song?"