Chapter 3:

Sophie sighed, it had only been 20 minutes, and there was already an all-out war going on in the car. Never mind the next hour, this was going to be chaos by the time they all stepped out. Dex seemed to be slowing down, so Sophie started to panic. "What's going on?" She asked

"Nothing big, we just got pulled over," Dex said

Sophie saw a huge smile on Keefe's face. "Let me get this one."

"Fine," Dex said, letting Keefe into the driver's side.

The police officer looked really scary, and Sophie really didn't want to mess with them.

"G'day officer," Keefe said, flashing a smile.

The officer grumbled something in reply and showed a ticket. Keefe laughed. "Haha, I chose scissors" Keefe pushed his foot on the gas pedal

Oh no. That was not a smart move. Sophie thought as the car lurched forward.

"I hope this thing can fly since that's the only way we're out-running this officer.

"Oh lord," Dex said, but got to work on a tiny little gadget. "Hope this works"

Sophie checked the speedometer. 300, 310, 320. The numbers kept going up. "Don't you think this car is going to break?" She asked Keefe.

"Nah, everything will be fine, just fine," Keefe said, while Dex shook his head in disagreement.

Sophie saw two more cars with lights coming, and for the first time in her life, she decided to urge Keefe on. "Faster, KEEFE! Faster." She urged, nodding as the speedometer hit the 600's. The two blinking lights were gone in a flash.

"Let's hope this road is straight." Tam said, "Because if it's not, we're all dead."

Dex shot up. "It's finished." He said, leaning out the window and attaching it to the wheel, and then putting a little trigger in his hand. "All ready if we really need it."

Keefe smiled, "How 'bout now?" He asked, and Dex swiftly replied, "No."

"Whataboutnow?" He said, and Dex said the same thing. That went on for about 20 minutes before they reached their first stoplight. Dex finally got control of the wheel, and they slowed down to a stop, no sign of police anywhere.

"I think we lost them," Linh said

Tam nodded his head. "Yup." He said

Sophie nodded too. "Where are we going?" She asked Dex

"Well, I don't really......" He trailed off.

"How about over there!" Keefe said, pointing to a gas station.

"Erm," Dex said, "I mean, sure, let's try it."

Dex slowed the car down and pulled into the gas station. Keefe hopped out of the car, shaking his legs. "Now I know why elves are so much better than humans" Keefe declared. "It's because we don't have to sit in those."

"It's not even the worst thing the humans have. Their medicine is so behind, it would be considered primal to the elves." Sophie added. "So don't get hurt."

Keefe smiled, "Look, I told you, Foster, you do care for me!"

Sophie rolled her eyes, opening her mind to the human thoughts around her. So many pointless things kept going around in her head. What time is it, How much longer will this drive take? Where are we going?, and finally, Where are those speeders?

Sophie almost screamed with the last thought. "Guys, I think they're close. I'm tracking their thoughts, and they seem really, really close."

Dex shrugged "At least get me a full tank. Can everybody distract them?"

"Sounds like a plan," Biana said, vanishing

"Sounds good to me," Linh said, making a small orb of water in her hand.

"Yup!" Keefe said

"Let's do this," Sophie said with a smile on her face. This was going to be a lot of fun