chapter two

"You almost ready?" Jack asked me as I fastened my earring

"Yes." I said walking out into the living room. "I'm good."

"You look nice." He told me and I actually heard Ty scoff from the couch.

"Thank you." I half smiled. "Well, see you later boys."

"Have fun you two." Dawson said.

"Not too much fun." Ty teased.

"Oh, I'll try." I whispered to him.

Jack still had barely said three words to me as we walked to the riverwalk where all the restaurants were, he just quietly held my hand. Dinner was almost awkward, something Jack and I have never faced in our near two year and a half year relationship. It was like he was trying to make small talk, like he was avoiding something. After dinner we ended up walking the Riverwalk to look at the skyline across the Hudson River.

"Are you cold?" Jack asked me.

"Kind of, but it's fine." I said.

"Don't be stupid Peyton," He said, taking off his blazer and covering my arms with it.

"Thank you." I said and the silence returned, but I couldn't bare it any longer. "So are we gonna talk about it?"

"I don't know, are we?" Jack said, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"You were waiting for me to say something?" I asked.

"Is that surprising?" He responded.

"Honestly, kind of." I said and he quirked a brow at me. "Jack, I can't keep telling you the same things over and over again. There is nothing going on with me and Trevor."

"I don't want you to tell me the same things over and over again." Jack said calmly.

"Okay, good." I said.

"I want you to tell me who your choice is." He said.

"What?"

"Peyton, I was serious last night when I asked you to pick him or me." Jack explained.

"Why? Why would you ever ask me that?" I stopped walking to face him.

"Because if you love me, then the decision should be easy. It should really be no decision at all."

"Jack, you know that I love you. I love you more than I've ever loved anyone in my life. We talk about spending the rest of our lives together."

"I know we do." He said, still almost monotone.

"So what's the problem?" I asked.

"Trevor."

"How?" I asked. "What about him is a problem? Beside your own insecurities driving you to the point that I am going to cheat on you, or leave you, for Trevor. Who by the way, has been dating my best friend at school and roommate for almost two years, so you have even less to worry about than you did in high school. And considering in high school you had nothing to worry about, that means you literally have negative things to worry about happening between Trevor and I."