Chapter 22: Corporate shenanigans

Deku stood before the looming skyscraper before him. There was nothing special about it aside from the giant company logo on the front of it. Other than that it was just your regular skyscraper. The logo itself was simply a tree with the company name beneath it. "EDEN".

How original. A generic corporation up to some shady business.

"Well this is definitely the place" Deku mumbled to himself as he stared up at the top of the building, wondering what kind of evil criminal mastermind was sat up there. Then he shook his head and brought himself back to reality.

That's silly, this is real life. That kinda stuff only happens in movies.

"Although these guys are doing secret expirements in discreet warehouses and covering it up so who knows it's perfectly plausbale that-" Deku began to rumble until a random stranger cut him off.

"Dude. Who are you talking to?" she asked. Deku thought for a second and went slightly red with embarrassment.

"Um. Myself" he replied.

Damnit. I should have just lied and said I had an earpiece in. Although she would've seen it. Then she'd know I was a liar and- YOU'RE DOING IT AGAIN!

"Riiiiiight" she said judgingly before walking away. Deku thought about trying to protest his sanity but decided to admit defeat. Besides he had something more important to do.

Time to enter the belly of the beast.

He walked up to the automatic doors that parted for him as he approached. To his surprise he walked into what was a pretty generic looking lobby. He thought a big company like this would have a more unique design/style. One thing that he took quick note of was the amount of security that seemed to be present. There were guards posted on every door, by the front desk and at the elevators too. At least 2 stationed by each area. Not to mention that they were armed to the teeth. Assault rifles, tear gas, body armour, batons and a pistol seemed to be the bare minimum of their arsenal. Some were carrying bigger and more dangerous weapons than others.

"Excuse me sir, may I help you?" the receptionist asked, noticing Deku stood still in the middle of the lobby whilst everybody else was going about their day. Some were wearing suits, some lab coats and the janitor was mopping the floor by the bathroom too. Clearly all employees. Deku stood out from the crowd in here. Especially considering he was wearing a full hero outfit and was probably one of the most famous heroes in the world but even if that wasn't the case he stood out like a sore thumb. Nevertheless he took a deep breath and approached the desk. The receptionist simply smiled politely and waited to see what he would say.

"Hi. I'm-" he began but one of the other employees interrupted him.

"DEKU! Wow! You're the pro hero Deku right!? Can I get a picture?" a man in a suit blurted out from behind him. Deku didn't want to be rude so he agreed and took a moment to take a picture with his fan which he really hoped was somebody who wasn't working on what he was investigating or anything else shady.

"Thanks man. You're the best! Can't wait for my kids to see this" he said as he walked off proudly with his photo. Deku didn't even have time to say anything back he was already gone.

Must've been a good guy. He has kids. Seemed super nice. Definitely not a bad dude. Please don't be a bad dude.

"Sorry about that. Guess you know who I am now" Deku said as he turned his attention back to the receptionist who was still smiling and waiting patiently. It was a little unnerving to be totally honest. Like a robot that had been programmed to always be smiling. She didn't say anything she just waited to see what Deku was going to say.