Book One; Chapter One

¨Something is coming, something hungry for blood. A shadow grows on the wall behind you, swallowing you into darkness. It is almost here.¨ Mike Wheeler's voice filled the room as he set the basement with his mysterious and terrifying atmosphere around the group of five kids. ¨What is it?¨ Will asked the group as they watched Mike for any hints.

June Gregson, aka Necromancer, sat criss-cross on the wooden chair in Mike's basement with the rest of the boys. Surrounding the table that held the Dungeon and Dragons, wooden board. Things were getting intense, and all the stress was getting to June. ¨What if,¨ June trailed off, thinking of all the horrible things Mike could send at them. It was endless, but one thing she didn't want was the Demogorgon to attack them. It was horrid; it's the kind of thing that makes its way into your nightmares, and to her, that was true.

¨Dont say that, Gregson! Each time you say something like that, the worst happens to us!¨ Lucas said as he shot June a glare, who is currently sitting directly across from him. To her left was Dustin, and on her right was Will. 

¨I can't help but be the reasonable one in the group!¨ June yelled, practically getting worked up on the nerdiest stuff that she does. Will rolled his eyes as they began bickering, like usual. Mike was at the front of the table, watching them with an amused smirk forming on his lips. On the other hand, Dustin was biting his nails, thinking about what June was hinting at.

¨What if June's right! What if it is the Demogorgon?¨ Dusty yelled, making June grimace. Will taking notice of it gave her a small reassurance smile. ¨Oh, Jesus we are so screwed if it's the Demogorgon.¨

¨It is not the Demogorgon,¨ Lucas snapped at Dustin. Out of habit from countless times of defending Dustin, June kicked Lucas's leg making the boy yelp. ¨What the heck, Gregson!¨

¨You were annoying, so I thought I could kick whatever is up to your ass out.¨ June snickered as he continued to glare at the girl. It was no surprise that June finally grew out of the formal, shy shell she had when they first met. It was also no surprise that she happened to get most of her traits from Lucas.

¨Well, if you haven't put that shit in my ass maybe you wouldnt need to kick it out.¨

¨How brave of you to think I would get anywhere close to that, Sinclair.¨

Mike cut them off as if telling the two bickering twelve-year-olds to shut their mouths up. Of course, at first, they didn't listen but soon got the hint when they realized that they were in the middle of a campaign. ¨An army of Troglodytes charges into the chambers.¨

Dustin scoffed, ¨Troglodytes?¨ 

Lucas smirked at the party, ¨Told you.¨

'Great, an even more ego boost for Lucas.' Will, Dustin, and June gave a long sigh. ¨Wait, do you hear that?¨ Mike said from behind the board. They cautiously lean in to listen. ¨That sound,¨ Mike stopped again, building up more tension. ¨Boom, boom, BOOM!¨ Mike shouted, slamming his hands on the table, almost knocking down their characters.

¨No that did not come from the Troglodytes. It came from something else.¨ Mike said, locking eyes with June halfway through and quickly looking somewhere other than her. June raised her eyebrows at the boy.

Mike suddenly tried to hold the tension even more, causing the group to go on the edge of their seats. June nearly fell at one point. Finally having enough, Sinclair and Gregson both yelled, ¨What is it, Mike!¨

Mike sighed in annoyance, giving the two that had the most attitude a glare, which they gladly returned.

¨The Demogorgon!¨ Mike slammed the figure in front of their eyes; she mutely cursed herself for telling the boy to hurry up. Her figure, the Necromancer, fell over due to the impact. ¨Oh, come on.¨ she groaned at her luck, putting her head on the table. Her luck was out of control, first the beast of her nightmares, now her figure fell over! 'It's probably chipped!' June exclaimed in her head. Will saw her defeated look, so he quickly reached over, and squeezed her hand in reassurance. The rest of the party didn't notice the small gesture of the duo.