Book One: Chapter Two

November 7th, 1983

The day was already dreadful that morning for June. June was eating her last morning breakfast with her mother before she departed for work, and the two teens would officially be moving in with Joyce Byers. Instead of it being emotional and heartbreaking, it ended up being very normal. Rachel and Winston were by the oven cooking, whispering to each other like usual, and Kelsi sat next to her sister with her stack of homework.

June still sees the monster every once in a while, but its being quiet for some reason. Any other day June would be happy, but now that she knows that it has Will, its like a part of her is broken. June shot up from her seat and went to her mother, but before she could make herself towards her she was spotted.

"What are you doing, June?" Kelsi asked, lifting her head from the stacks of paper she was just staring at. "I have to go tell Mum something."

June rushed towards Rachel before her sister could ask anything else. "Mum, I have important news." Rachel hummed as a reply as she turned around to show June that she was listening. "Its quiet."

Winston and Kelsi forward their eyebrows at that supposedly important news. Rachel gave her a tight smile, "Aint that supposed to be good, Sweetie?"

"No, its quite the opposite." June required giving her mother a glare for thinking that was a good thing in this situation. "Its planning something, Mum, and with Will-"

June was cut off when their other phone began to ring. Excusing herself, Rachel made her way to the phone. "Hello," June couldnt hear what was being said over the phone, but she knew it was about Will. "June says that he was making his way home the last time they saw each other... No, I cant say we did get a call last night from him. He probably left home early for school. Okay, talk to you later Joyce."

June was now angry, 'Why was she lying about Will?' Before June can speak this out her mother hung up the phone. "June, honey, can you come to help me upstairs right quick."

Rachel went upstairs with a hesitant daughter following her. "Why are you lying to everyone?" June finally asked after closing the door behind her. "Because this whole thing is supposed to be kept a secret. If anyone else finds out about it, the lab is going to know."

"Don't you think Joyce should know what happened to her son!" June exclaimed at her mother. June loves Joyce and she knows her mum does too, so why is she lying to her now all of a sudden. Sighing Rachel gave her daughter a weak smile, "I dont want them finding Joyce, because if they find Joyce they'll find you and Kelsi too. I wish I could tell her, but I think its too late." June gave her mother a once over before sighing, she wanted to say bullshit, but decided not to. "Okay, but Im staying home then."

"Sounds fine to me. Now, lets go back downstairs before they get curious." Rachel and June made their way downstairs to see smoke in the room. "Winston," the two Gregsons said before helping the man with the cooking before he could burn down the house.

"Nice for you to help," Winston said glaring at Kelsi as she stayed in her seat laughing at the poor man. "Dont you have school to go to?" Kelsi laughed before sticking her tongue out, leaving the three, and headed towards her car.

"Youre going to miss her aren't you?" Rachel asked Winston as she cleaned up the rest of the mess with June. "Sadly, her sarcastic remarks are going to be missed," Winston replied to her before messing up Junes hair on his way out of the kitchen. June shook her head at the mans statement and began to get her food from her mom. "You'll know what to do when the time comes, sweetie."

A strained smile appeared on Junes face, "Whatever that means," June mumbled as her mother exited the kitchen as well, not hearing her. June quickly ate her breakfast before going upstairs to pack her belongings for Byers's house.