|38| Secrets Unveiled

April morphed into May

April morphed into May. Then May became June. The days turned cloudless and sultry. The sun lured students to come out of the castle to catch some rays of its warmth while the Black Lake glistened below. That's what Allegra was trying to do, because with June came final exams.

Allegra would admit she does her fair share of studying: she's not at the top of her year for no reason, but things just came easier for her if she truly put in the focus and effort, which she did most of the time. Still, she believed everyone needs a study break.

Cedric did not.

"I need to study!" He yelled.

"Then study here! You've been locked in the library for months!" She said, pulling at him with tremendous force toward the Black Lake.

"The sun impairs my vision. It's too bright," he argued. She rolled her eyes.

"It's the sun, Cedric. Besides, you could use a little tan. You're much paler than when I met you."

"You know what, if you're just going to-"

"Just come on. Actually, you know what?"

She moved so fast he didn't see her swipe his wand. All he saw was the end of the ash wood slip into her velvet drawstring bag.

She peered up at him challengingly. "You'll get this back once you've relaxed."

"What makes you think I won't just take it?" He smirked. Allegra didn't put up a fight when he took the bag from her hands. But she did grin when he dug his hand inside with furrowed brows, not grabbing what he needed.

"Love, where's my wand?"

"You'll get it back once you've relaxed," she repeated.

He gave her a half-hearted exasperated look, letting his arms fall at his sides. "Allegra-"

"Cedric."

He chuckled, not even being able to be truly upset with her. They settled beside the lake. Allegra stretched out her legs and leaned back onto her palms. She giggled when Cedric flopped down, resting his head on her lap as he rummaged through her bag. Still not finding his wand, much to his dismay.

What he did find were her books. He pulled a thin, weathered looking one out and sifted through its pages as she absentmindedly ran her fingers through his hair.

For a few minutes they sat comfortably in silence, merely enjoying each others presence. Cedric became engrossed in the novel. It wasn't until he felt petals being tossed into his hair that he looked back up.

Allegra's smile had mischief written all over it.

"Damn it, now you've ruined my hair," he pouted dramatically, flopping the book down on his face.