The Encounter

An uncomfortable pea underneath the mattress. Trapped in a tall tower. Mysterious mentor. A dashing and handsome prince.

These were things princesses endured -- most princesses anyway. Tropes of old. Customs and adages. Classic fairytales.  But none had entertained one princess in particular.

Fiona was a hopelessly bored princess. No great adventure had ever arisen, whisking her away. She was just a normal person.

She enjoyed the finery and ease that came along with being royal, but it had over time grown boring — a repetitive slump in her life.

"You're spoiled, perhaps," she told herself.

Her window creaked in the wind. The sudden draft made her shiver. She stood and walked over to close it.

For a moment, she paused, taking in the splendor of the moonlit countryside, and the city lights off in the distance. Her lips twitched into a content smile.

Perhaps it's not all that bad being a princess. I mean, I'm not always bored. She nodded, then pulled the window closed.

"Funny. I don't recall even opening —"

A hand slipped over her mouth. Callused, warm skin, tight and uncomfortable. She struggled, effectively jabbing an elbow into her surpriser's side. She jumped away, quickly turning to face them.

"Who — what? Who are you?"

The dazed man looked her up and down. "I was just about to ask you the same question. I mean, don't princesses usually wear crowns?"

"Don't thieves usually wear masks?"

The mysterious man chuckled. "You read too many books."

"It seems the same can be said for you. Why on earth would I constantly wear a crown?"

"I don't know. I thought—" He stopped, then growled under his breathe. "I don't have time for this. Excuse me."

"Wait! You cannot just barge into a castle and act like you own it. I simply must protest!"

He turned towards her. "I'm not here to bicker with you."

"Who are you?" Fiona snapped. "And what do you want?"

"I can't answer those questions."

"That's ridiculous. You have a mouth. Use it!"

He rolled his eyes. "I see. Now I know; You don't get out much."

"And it also appears you don't stay in much. A lot can be learned in silence and relaxation."

"Yes. I agree. A lot can be gained. Like weight."

"How dare you!"

He grabbed her hand before it could land against his skin. "I wasn't talking about you. Surprisingly enough, you seem to be in fine shape."

Fiona stomped on the stranger's boot. "Don't make me call the guards. You really shouldn't be here. You need to go."

He still held her hand, as though it was at least one thing he could steal before he left. His eyes flashed down the dim hallway. The coast was clear. Fiona knew there weren't any guards nearby.

Finally, his eyes returned back to hers. He studied her for a long time.

What is he thinking? She wondered. Was he going to kidnap her? Continue to burglarize her home?

His eyes glinted and a smile wavered in his lips. "Want to come with me?"

"What? With you? I — I don't even know you. And where on earth are you planning to go?"

He shrugged. "Suit yourself."

"Wh-why would you ask me to come with you anyway?"

"I just thought it would be fun. You must get awfully bored here," he said. His eyes shifted. "Plus, I don't think I've enjoyed an encounter so much as this one. You're an odd sort. It's actually quite fascinating."

Fiona blushed. "Me? How could I possibly be considered interesting? Are you really being serious?"

"I'm always serious." The stranger smiled, then strode across the room back to the window. He pushed it open. His shoulders lifted with a sigh. "Most of the time, anyway."

Fiona walked over to him. "Who are you?"

He smiled. "Call me whatever you'd like. Just make it bold and noble sounding."  He grabbed her shoulders, gave her a quick kiss, then hopped out the window.

Before Fiona could correctly respond, the mysterious man had disappeared into the darkness. He was gone.

Who was he? Fiona bit her lip, fighting a smile of mixed-emotions. I suppose I — I can call him The Encounter?

She laughed. Looking out her window now, she felt quite happy. She had been content before, but now she was excited as well. There were many more things she had yet to experience as a princess.

The Encounter had stolen away into the night. And, somehow, he had also stolen her heart.