Two Thieves

He seemed to stare at her for hours, his eyes boring into her own, searching her soul.  What did he expect to find there?
     Ill intent? A trick? A master mind trying to fool him?  Some hint that told him she was just playing him like she would a pawn?
     But no.  Fiona was sincere.  Nothing could wane her courage.  Her determination.  She had nothing left to lose, so she might as well give her all to a chance — a chance to get the revenge she thirsted for.
     Thirst.
     Before the Encounter could speak, Fiona coughed, her parched throat begging for liquid.  Her knees felt weak again and she found herself crouched down to the ground.  She'd been next to the stream — why hadn't she gotten a drink?
     The Encounter knelt next to her and lifted her chin, propping a flask against her lips.
     She swallowed five mouthfuls before she spoke again.
     "Will you help me?"
     In the growing light of morning, she saw the Encounter nod, a sympathetic and strong smile on his face.  "I will.  We all will."
     "The Mix?"
     He nodded again.  "They hate Prince William just as much as you do." His tilted head waited for her to give a sign telling him that wasn't true, but when he saw none, the Encounter continued.  "Besides, we're not ones to shy away from bullies.  And Prince William happens to be the biggest of them all."
     "He's not a bully," Fiona responded icily.  "He's a murderous snake. And the fastest way to get rid of a snake is by going for its head."
     The Encounter considered her, impressed by the strong words coming from such a dainty looking woman.
     Fiona looked away, surprised by her dark boldness as well.  The need for revenge was quickly eating away all the mercy she possessed.
     The Encounter stood.  "Let's get going then, shall we?"
     He helped her to stand and then scooped her up.  The sores on her feet would prevent her from walking for a few days, but she knew she'd live.  She just wished this man she barely knew didn't have to carry her for who knows how long.
     Fiona looked at his face.  She'd never quite seen him before.  Their first meeting happened so fast, she almost didn't get to fully see his face.  And then this second time, he'd come to her rescue in the night.  But now, as the morning grew brighter, she could finally put a true face to the title she'd given him.
     The Encounter.
     But who was he really?
     "What is your name?"
     He ducked under a branch, bending his head neck to hers, then continued to walk upright.  He bit his lip, thinking.
     "I suppose I have many names," he finally said.  "When I was a boy, people would call me Mulch, Rat, or Scum.  As I got older, I was known as Trouble or Thief.  And now I'm ultimately called Outlaw."
     Fiona studied him, her face solemn as she realized the struggles he faced growing up.  He'd been dirt to everyone he met, to everyone who cared only about themselves.  The life he'd lived hadn't been an easy one like hers.
     When he remained quiet, her solemness was replaced with impatience. "Do you not have a name? Or are you just refusing to tell me?"
     A smile teased the corner of his mouth as he watched where he was walking. "Aaron."
     "Can I trust you, Aaron?"
     "That's a decision you'll have to make on your own."
     Fiona clamped her mouth shut and thought about that.  The Encounter hadn't done anything to harm her — nothing that would cause distrust.  She really didn't know him, but she also didn't have any other choice.  She needed to trust him.  At least until she had cause not to.
     Suddenly he stopped walking. Fiona stiffened, looking down a decline in the forest floor.  The ground leveled out after about eight feet, so it wasn't a hard descent to cover.  So why had they stopped?
     "You're not going to like this."
     Before she could speak, Fiona heard an arrow fly past them and land with a lethal thunk into a helpless tree nearby.
     Suddenly the Encounter, Aaron, dropped to the ground, taking her with him, and then they were both rolling down the hill.
     The world swirled in a violent gradient of color as the two toppled to stop.  Fiona's vision was blurred, but she could see Aaron above her.  He placed a hand over her mouth, shaking his head.  His rapid blinking told her he too was struggling to regain his bearings.  But why was his hand on her mouth?
     She struggled, wanting to bite him, but he kept shaking his head.  "Quiet," he finally whispered.
     Fiona closed her eyes, listening, but all she heard was birdsong.  No assassins sneaking through the woods, no outlaws cursing.  Just nature playing a pretty song.
     Aaron removed his hand.  For a moment he studied her face. He was so close.  Too close.
     Before Fiona could shove him off her, he moves away, crawling on the ground and gesturing for her to follow.  She does, traveling on her hands and knees until bushes surrounded them.  They stopped, both breathing hard but trying to stay quiet.
     Fiona had so many questions.  Who had been shooting the arrows?  Why did Aaron seem urgent but unafraid?  Were they not in imminent danger?  How long would they hide?  Was the Mix close by?
     "What's happening?"
     "Call it an unwelcoming party."
     She didn't like the sound of that.  "Is it members of the Mix?"
     "Probably.  But they're not out to kill us.  At least I don't think so.  Anyway, it's safer for us to stay here for a while."
     "If you're part of the Mix, why are they doing this?"
     "I didn't say this was the Mix.  I agreed it was members of the Mix."
     "Great.  Created a few feuds, have you?"
     His eyes pierce into hers and a grin spreads on his face.  "There's more of that sass."
     She holds onto her confidence. "Call it what you will, but it's all I have right now beside that crown."
     "It could get you into trouble one of these days." He moves closer.
     "I can handle trouble."
     "Can you?"
     By now, his face is inches from hers and Fiona feels her strong facade melting away.  But no way was she going to let him kiss her.  Not after that stunt of rolling them both down a hill.  She could just imagine the bruises she'd have tomorrow.
Fiona turns her head, trying to refocus on the trial they were currently facing.  How many were hunting them? And why?
     When she looked back, Aaron was still watching her.  That was another trial all on its own.
     She placed her hand on his chest, feeling the steady beat of his heart.
     Steady.
     The opposite state of her life right now.
     Before she could stop herself, she leaned forward and placed a quick kiss on the Encounter's lips.
     "There, now we're even.  You stole a kiss from me, I stole a kiss from you."
     A little confused and flustered, Aaron tilted his head.  "Doesn't that make you a thief now too?"
     The reality of it made her bite her lip while resisting a smile.  "I suppose it does."
     The Encounter sat beside her.  "What now?"
     "I came to get help from you, remember? A lot of help you've been if you've already put me in danger and now you're asking for my advice."
     He grinned.  "We'll both perish then, I guess."
     Fiona shifted, keeping a good few inches between them.  "Not if you think of a marvelous plan to get us out of this predicament."
     "Your wish is my command, my lady."