Chapter 2 - Who Are You?

The morning sun shone brightly over the vast field of green. You stood at the center of it all, watching Isabel skillfully ride her horse back and forth across the grass.

"I'm surprised," you said, "did someone teach you how to ride a horse?"

"Nah," Isabel said, patting the horse's mane, "but I've always been fond of animals. This guy says he likes me, too!"

You gave the slightest hint of a smile.

"Oh? Interesting."

"Ah!" Isabel grinned at you, "so you can smile! You should smile more often, it suits you."

Isabel pulled on the reins of her horse, taking off again, leaving you alone to ponder and eventually reject the meaning of her words.

You made your way over to where Flagon stood with the brown-haired squad leader, Hange Zoë, assessing the maneuver gear skills of the new recruits.

Levi barely gave you a glance before he took ahold of one of his blades...

...backwards.

"What do you think you're doing?" Flagon asked, his eyes scrutinizing Levi's posture, "those blades weren't designed to be held like that. Do you want to die the moment you step outside of these walls?"

"That might just happen to you," Levi responded, striding confidently towards the forest.

"What did you just say?" Flagon demanded.

"All I have to do is slice the titan's neck, right?" Levi asked, turning around to look at them, "I'll do it my way."

Flagon trembled with anger and began to step forward. You held out a hand to stop him. "Leave him" you ordered.

Somehow, although you hated to admit it, you felt that Levi knew what he was doing.

Levi launched off the ground, twisting and spinning through the air with evident ease and gracefulness.

You arched an eyebrow.

Not bad...

"Was he given formal training?" Hange asked in shock.

"No, I don't believe so," you answered.

"Good. Very good!" Hange said, blushing in excitement, "everything from the way we search for titans to the way we take them down is dependent upon individual methods. He's the perfect example of that! I'll have to observe him carefully," she said, pumping a fist into the air, "wow! This is starting to get interesting!"

You frowned at the uncomfortable feeling in your chest. What was this? Was it something Hange had said? You didn't believe so. Whatever could she have said to bother you?

As you watched Levi utilize his maneuver gear, gracefully flying through trees and avoiding obstacles, you couldn't help but think that the Survey Corps had found an amazing cadet. You stopped yourself. What were you thinking? You thought again of Levi's arrogance and shook your head. How could you be so proud of someone with such low regard for mannerisms?

"(Name). Will you be overseeing the new recruits' physical combat training today?" Hange asked, glancing in your direction.

"Yes," you said, momentarily discarding your thoughts, "though I doubt it will be eventful."

"Make sure to keep everyone in check," Flagon said, watching Levi fly expertly through the forest, "you'll probably need to be more alert."

"Got it" you said. That couldn't be too hard at all.