•C h a p t e r S i x•

"What are you wearing?" was the first thing Hunter said to me when I made it to the bottom of the stairs. He stared at me with a hard gaze and flushed cheeks.

"What I want to wear," I replied, nonchalantly.

His lip curled in slight disgust, "Go back and change into what I picked out. You look like a—"

"A what?" I challenged. I had forgiven him for the sake of my mom because I knew how much she liked him, but also it may have been for myself. Maybe I thought he would be better, or that he would change.

We could give second, or third, or fourth chances, but some people didn't deserve them. Now, it seemed like Hunter didn't.

"Come with me," Hunter didn't finish what he wanted to say. Instead, his hand tightened around my wrist as he pulled me back up the staircase. I was stumbling over my own feet.

I yanked my hand from his bruising grip and sprinted back down the stairs. Having an argument on the stairs was a recipe for disaster — I'd seen it in movies. He followed closely behind, his footsteps just a couple behind mine.

"What the hell is wrong with you," I heard him say through gritted teeth. I didn't need to turn around to see how furious he was. I'd never done anything like this since we'd been together.

"Leave me alone. We're over," I snapped, turning back to face him with a racing heart.

"You don't mean that," he said, his tone much softer than it had been a moment ago. His anger seemed to have dissipated slightly. "What will your mom say?"

"Fuck her and fuck you," I glowered at him. Blood rushed through my ears as my hands trembled. I should have been disappointed or heartbroken that this was happening. But, I wasn't. "Get out of my house."

I stared him down, but he only returned with a torn expression and dejected eyes. A pinch of guilt creeped up into my heart. Hunter and I had good times, but I wasn't so sure they were worth it anymore. I could hear all of Avery's complaints about Hunter running through my mind.

To be honest, I didn't know how I would deal with my mom after this, but this had to be the right thing to do. It was the right thing for me. I didn't want to be controlled anymore.

I took a deep breath, "Get out. I never want to see you here again. We're done."

His dejected expression had dissipated as his jaw and fists clenched. I needed to blast out of there for my own good. I eyed him as I turned away, dashing to the safety of the living room where everyone was.

I didn't need a man to act like he controlled me, I'd had enough of that two centuries ago.

The voices of multiple guests filled my ears as I entered. They were all occupied, either on their phones, drinking, or socializing.

Finally, I let out a relieved breath. Faint music played in the background and immediately I could tell my brother was the one who chose the playlist, consisting of rap and pop. At least Liam wouldn't be here.

It was a beautifully designed room, I had to give my mom that. She has personally chosen dark hardwood floors and matching paint for the walls. She'd also had my dad install a snack bar, juice bar, a large wine bar on one end, and a flat screen TV and couches on the other.

My parents stood near the snack bar, talking with a whole group of adults similar to their age. I had inherited my dad's darker hair myself, and he was dressed in a white dress shirt. My mom looked her usual elegant self with her blonde hair tied up and a beautiful dress on.

I grimaced, making my way to the other side of the room. If they saw me, they'd force me to introduce myself and mingle.

I scanned the room for Avery and her parents — probably the most tolerable group in the room at the moment. But instead, my eyes landed on my brother, Jackson. My eyebrow raised at the sight of him digging around at the wine bar.