•C h a p t e r T h i r t y - T w o•

I responded quickly, my eyes fluttering shut as I wrapped my arms around his neck, deepening the kiss.

His lips were warm and soft as they moved against mine, still sweet with the wine he'd been drinking earlier. His cologne drifted up my nose, muddling all the thoughts in my mind. Our bodies pressed tightly together as he backed me into the wall with a small thud.

Then, it finally hit me. My eyes shot open and I turned my head to the side, breaking the kiss.

"Liam, stop," I shook my head, watching as he took a step back to give me space.

"You want me to stop?" he asked, brows furrowed in confusion. His breaths were heavy and his face flushed.

"Well, you were being a dick so yes. I'm mad at you," I crossed my arms over my chest again, frowning at him.

"You're always mad at me," he raised an eyebrow at me, a smirk spreading over his lips.

"Then give me a reason not to be," I challenged, tilting my head up.

He took a step towards me, "Alright, go on a date with me. Then you'll have many reasons."

I opened my mouth, then shut it again, speechless. Never in my wildest nightmare had I expected him to ask me out on a date. My cheeks grew fiery as my eyes met his dark, glistening ones.

A large part of me wanted to just go for it, but I knew it would be unwise. I didn't know if I was ready for this. The last thing I needed was another Hunter in my life, or another repeat of what my life had been like two centuries ago. Dominated and controlled by men.

"Dream on, Liam," I rolled my eyes, maneuvering past him to get back to the living room — even though that was the last place I wanted to be.

"Oh come on," Liam chased after me, his hand clasping over mine. I stopped, turning around to stare at him expectantly. "You said it yourself that we don't really know each other anymore. Is a date not a good way to change that?"

I frowned as stared at him, my eyes narrowing skeptically.

"Look, I'm sorry I was an asshole to Linus," he almost choked out his name, stuffing his hands into his pockets. "I really am, I just thought that maybe it would get your attention."

"Well you definitely did that," I pinched the bridge of my nose, attempting to hide my irritation.

"It's just, you bring out the worst in me sometimes," he leaned against the wall, shaking his head.

His dark eyes met mine. They were gentle and an unfamiliar warmth spread over my chest at the sight of them, immediately bringing a sort of comfort to me that I'd never felt before.

"Let me take you out, and I can show you the best of me," he said softly.

"Maybe," I suppressed a smile, pursing my lips and Liam's brows furrowed. "I'll think about that date."

___________________________

Avery bounded through my bedroom door and it smacked against my wall from the momentum. I jumped up from my bed in surprise, my heart leaping out of my chest.

"Oh my gosh, Avery," I sighed when I realized that it was just her. Her breathing was heavy and ragged, her hair tangled, letting me know that she'd sprinted all the way up to my room with her twenty pound backpack.

"Sorry, your mom let me in," she took a deep breath, straightening out her skirt. "I have something to tell you."

I glanced down at my laptop, where I had been trying to book surf lessons — which was completely private. As subtle as I could, I shut it.