04: The Waffled Philosophy

"Umm... sure..." I said, smiling politely. Although my expression made it seem like I was calm, I was sobbing from gratitude in my mind, continuesly thanking him for saving me the embarassment of begging to work alone.

Just as I was about to ask Porco if he wanted to work with us, I realised he had already chosen a group of three- everyone had!

"Just write your groups down in here..." Mr Smith passed a paper to a student to which they'd pass around the class. "From the number of students here, there should be one duo"-

"That'll be us, sir." Reiner raised his hand slightly. I had stood up to go sit next to him. Mr Smith nodded and began to type some things down.

I felt Reiner shift from next to me, turning slightly so he could face me. "So, do you have any ideas?"

Humming twice, I shook my head. "I think we can come up with something, short but scary."

"Why scary?" He asked.

"Because positive things don't grab a human beings attention." I mumble, tapping my chin in thought. It's true, why would anyone want to think about something that ended on a good note? We had to keep them wondering!

"Let's discuss it together in the library afterschool." I add confidently, somehow mustering up the courage to suggest something. But I doubt Reiner would judge me and tell me to shut up. Unlike most in this school, he actually wanted to see if I was truly weird rather than believe those stupid rumours.

"The library is temporarily shut. And probably will be for the rest of this month." He replied. Rather than lose the confident I faked, I suggested something much ... weirder.

"Then... Let's go to mine,"

For some reason, his cheeks tinted a light pink and he began to stutter. Which was unusual from what he seemed like. Tall, six feet and a frown crinkling his eyes. "What- are you... you sure?"

"Yes Reiner. There's quite a bit of space and my neighborhood is peaceful." Besides, it's mostly elderly people, they're incredibly nice when you get to know them. Kind of like bees... nice when you are but extremely harsh when you're annoying.

"Sure w-why not?" He stammered again. I grinned and stood up, collecting my books and chucking them in my bag since everyone else was leaving the classroom. I guess we must have been talking over Mr Smith without realising. Either that or he forgot to tell us to leave and instead left without a word again.

He sure is smart but the man loses his common sense sometimes. Going from manipulating students into being passionate about schoolwork to flinching at automatic doors. Adorable.

My steps faltered when I seemed to have forgotton something, it took all the strength inside my brain muscles to figure out what it was. The grudge I forgot to let go of five years ago? The bird I accidentily kicked this morning? Damn it rememer...

Oh shit- "Reiner!" I ran after him before he could get too far down the hallways. He turned around calmly, his hazel eyes dropping down to my height. "Y/n... do you need something?"

"Yes!" I panted heavily, "Your number! I need to text you about Sawney and my address."

His eyes slightly widened as if to tell me he should have remembered that too, abruptly reaching into his pocket. "Here, type it in." He handed me his phone.

I switched it on to find a picture of an elderly blonde woman, assuming that must be his mum. I resisted the urge to coo at him and swiped left to tap on the phone button, tapping in my phone number.

Once I had finished, I called the number and my phones ringtone rang, the intro to calillou. That one weird annoying bald kid.

People in the corridoor darted strange looks at me but I didn't care and only grinned once again at Reiner. "Here you go," I handed his phone back.