Rainy Days

Notes: No beta we die like Forkle 1

Pairings: Kam

Wordcount: 966

Warnings: mild swearing. description of cartoon like violence. one word in all caps.

About: Tam really doesn't want to be at his Winnowing Gala

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tam sat on the back porch, staring as the rain pounded down hard from the sky. He heard the door open behind him and turned around to see Keefe standing in the frame.

"So, are you out here because you enjoy getting soaked to the bone or are you mad at someone?"

Tam looked away.

"Bit of both, I guess."

Tam felt a shift of weight on the porch swing and knew Keefe has sat beside him.

"Well, in that case you better go ahead and tell your bestest friend in the whole wide world why you're hiding during your own Winnowing Gala."

"First of all, you aren't my best friend. Second of all I'm not hiding I'm just...taking a breather."

The party was being held at some venue, Tam didn't really know where, Tiergan had booked it for him. The porch was the only place to hide and unfortunately Keefe had found it.

Keefe clucked his tongue disbelievingly.

"C'mon man, it's your party. Get out there and find some girls! If you're scared to dance I could demonstrate."

Here he bumped Tam's shoulder with his own jokingly. Tam just rolled his eyes.

"Tam, the minute you walk in there everyone's gonna be swooning over you," He started doing a crude impression of a girly voice," 'Oh Tam! All I want to do is brush out those dreamy bangs of yours and look into those dreamy stormy eyes and dreamy dreamy dreamy! Just marry me now!' "

Tam rolled his eyes again.

"They all think I'm a freak in there, I'm the weird shadow twin guy with scary powers who sits in the corner and sulks any time he's with his team."

"Oh, you're fine, Sophie's powers are scarier than yours and she's found plenty of love interests."

Tam didn't say anything and neither did Keefe for a blissful minute. But all good things come to an end.

"It'd be easier to mingle in there if you knew how to dance. I saw you stepping on the toes of the one girl you interacted with, it wasn't pretty."

"It'd also be easier to not have a Winnowing Gala at all but here we are."

Keefe again didn't say anything for a peaceful minute.

"Tam...why did you have a Winnowing Gala if it seems like you don't want to be here?"

"Everyone else was having one... I... I don't know, I guess I thought it'd help me fit in, or something."

"Eh, fitting in is overrated. I think it's pretty impossible for anyone in our group to fit in anyway. Kicking the Neverseen's collective ass kind of makes you stand out."

Tam did a sort of half-laugh.

"Yeah..."

Tam contemplated for a minute.

"Hey, wanna run back to Tiergan's and hide there?"

"Please," Keefe responded immediately.

~*~

After a long -- exhausting -- walk up the stairs, they had reached the main room of Solreef. It was still raining, whatever venue they were at must've been closer than he thought. He didn't like that.

The house was empty as Tiergan, Prentice, and his siblings were all at the party. They'd realized he was missing soon enough, but it probably gave him about an hour before they'd try to find him. A nice break. A well needed one too, considering he was one step away from anxiety attack at the party.

Keefe immediately began raiding the pantry, as he did any time he came to Tam's house, but halted when he noticed the somber expression on Tam's face.

"Okay, what's wrong Bangs Boy? Your energy is..." he made a vague circular gesture with his arm towards Tam, "off."

Tam sighed as he sat on the couch.

"Why do I have to get matched? Like yeah I know I don't have to but... I feel like I do, for some reason. I'm already biased against, having a good marriage won't help, it'll just drag whoever down to my level."

Keefe sat down next to him.

"Look... not to get all serious or whatever, and if you tell a single other soul I said this I'll kill you, but whoever you marry will be damn lucky to have you. And if they think their being dragged down? I do not care if it's your wife, I'll punt her into the sun."

This made Tam laugh fully for the first time that day.

"You mean it?" Tam asked light heartedly, turning towards Keefe.

"Every word," Keefe replied, looking down at his lap.

There was a beat of silence.

"Hey Keefe?"

"Hm?" He asked, turning back towards Tam.

"I'll punt your wife into the sun too, if you want."

Keefe laughed.

"Thank you for the thought, but I don't really want a wife."

"Me neither."

Another silent beat.

Tam didn't even realize it was happening, but his leg was bouncing, hand sat atop it. He felt Keefe's hand reach over, as if to remind him to stop fidgeting like Linh always did, instead he grabbed the hand on top of the leg and intertwined their fingers. Tam risked a quick glance up, worried that eye-contact would make Keefe let go. Keefe had his head turned away, but Tam could see the splotchy blush across it.

Tam gripped onto Keefe's hand slightly harder, before turning completely to Keefe and getting his attention by talking.

"Hey, maybe I could take you up on that dancing offer one day."

"Well, I'm free today, what about you?" He said with a smirk.

"I suppose I could clear my schedule."

"Great. Just don't step on my toes, please."

"Maybe now I'll just do it on purpose," Tam replied as he stood up from the couch.

"You wouldn't dare, I have so much dirt on you," Keefe said, following.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah."

"But my stormy eyes are dreamy, right?"

"Shut UP!"