Elwin's House - Revised

A/N: Woah, hey, it's another fic!

I haven't written fic in months. I must admit, I've been focused on school and my own writing projects. I also just fell a bit out of love with keeper for a while, life gets busy.

But then I noticed I was really close to 500 followers on Tumblr! And, I mean, that felt like a big milestone. For a number of reasons, mostly Tumblr's hellsite-ness, I haven't hit 500 yet. Even though I was like three away. Two separate times. 

*sigh*

Anyway.

I decided to post the fic I wrote in celebration anyway.

This is a revised version of the very first fic I ever wrote. It has the same premise, but not the same plot. I wrote it with the idea of "How would I write this if I settled on the idea today?"

And this was the answer

By the way, if you haven't read that first fic... uh, please don't lol. It's pretty bad. But I've gotten better. If you want to read it for comparison sake then go for it, but you by all means do not have to.

Sorry for the essay, let's get into it.

~

Word count: 2,023

Pairings: Keefex

Category: light angst

TW: Some cursing

Other: Dadwin :), also this isn't particularly polished, but it's still way better than the original

~

 Keefe stood at the base of Elwin's expansive house, the familiar scent already wrapping his senses in a comforting hug. Strong woody forest on one side and salty ocean on the other, mixing to create a smell he suspected would typically only be found in candles. The sun, only barely in the sky, shown bright through the rainbow glass panes of the building.

The chilly air which surrounded Splendor Plains drove him to start his journey inside faster than his nerves wanted. He was hesitant to actually venture into the home, even though he came here specifically for support after...

Yes, there was the reminder, how could he forget?

The memory sent another sharp pain to his heart.

It had only been an hour ago. Keefe sitting under the panakes. Tears streaming from his face, just as they did now.

He pushed the memory down again, forcing himself to take one more step to the door. One led to two led to three, as eventually the beautiful colors of Elwin's sleek walls reflected on Keefe's face. Now he was in arms length of the doorknob, hands refusing to move from his sides.

The wind started picking up, blowing mist from the sea into his eyes and chilling him deeper, right past his skin – into his bones. He was half way sure the aforementioned tears were going to start freezing right on his cheeks.

Okay, he said to himself, on three.

One,

God, I wish I didn't have to do this.

Two,

I don't want to burden Elwin.

Three,

And the door's opening! Okay!

He pushed it open, his own hand defying the anxious part of his brain.

He croaked out a hasty, "Elwin?" to which there was no response. Keefe hoped the fact that Elwin often said he was always welcome extended to when Elwin didn't seem to be home.