𝟏𝟑| 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐤𝐞𝐲𝐬

-𝐇𝐄𝐑-

Click.

I finally heard it after fiddling with the lock for the past five minutes. I was sure I had heard it because my ear was pressed against the door and my room was dead quiet. Even Maxim sat quietly, watching me hatch my plan.

Holding my breath, I reached for the handle and twisted it. My heart almost leaped out of my chest when the handle twisted and the door creaked open. I slapped my mouth, stopping myself from squealing out loud at my new achievement.

For a moment I couldn't believe that I was able to pick a lock! I couldn't help but imagine the look on my aunt's face if she ever finds out about this newly acquired skill of mine. I made a mental note to pick all the locks of my uncle's house once I go back (or if, I ever get to go back).

Maxim walked up to me and licked my face gently as if congratulating me. I bit down on my bottom lip to keep myself from throwing my head back and laughing the good old evil laugh because the joy and thrill it gave me to have the door lock picked was immense. I felt powerful all of a sudden. I'd never like this before and let me tell you, it could be dangerous for the rest of the world if a girl like me starts to feel powerful all of a sudden.

Why? You may ask.

Well, you should've asked why not because suddenly I was thinking of all the doors that I could pick in the world— starting from the door to the office in my uncle's house where I was sure the money was kept, to any door that'd stand between me and what I wanted.

An evil smile spread over my lips as I stood up from my knees and opened the door before walking out of the room quietly. Maxim followed me in the same manner. The whole corridor to my bedroom was empty. The adjacent bedroom was empty as well (it was always empty and it hardly looked like someone used it.)

I crept to the landing before peaking downstairs at the foyer to see if someone was there. It was completely quiet downstairs at first and no one was at sight. I waited there for a while and when no one appeared, I thought of going downstairs to enquire what was going on in the house that required Mr. Night locking me in my room.

I was about to step towards the stairs when I saw Mr. entering the house. He was in his tailcoat, wearing his top hat, and had his cane in one hand. He stopped just below the stairs and called for Filth who appeared right away out of nowhere.

"Is everything ready?" I heard Mr. Night ask Filth. It was hard to hear them from where I was standing but nonetheless, I was still able to hear bits and pieces but I decided that that wasn't enough for me.

There was a pillar by the stairs on the landing and I was sure that I'd be able to hear them talk from there properly. The pillar was thick enough to provide me good cover so without thinking much, I got down on my knees and crawled my way to the pillar.

"Yes, sir. Everything is ready. We could leave at the stroke of midnight," I heard Filth inform Mr. Night. I got off my knees and stood still behind the pillar, listening to them.

"Are you sure?" Mr. Night asked pointedly. There was something about the way he asked that question that made me peek from behind the pillar. The two of them were standing at the bottom of the stairs, talking.

His question was followed by a momentary silence before Filth replied, "I've made sure she stays in her room tonight,"

Oh.

"You better did,"

He didn't.

"Yes, sir. She wouldn't meddle in our business tonight and besides, we're going out tonight. I don't think she'd have followed us anyway. Would she?" Filth asked.